Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2014 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring AWD Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Mazda

image2014 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring AWD Long-Term Road Test

Consulting the owner's manual on preferred octane rating for the new engine in 2014 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    hopsterhopster Member Posts: 6
    Chris- I think you misunderstood what the octane requirements says. In the US we use R + M (avg of RON and MON), in Europe they use just RON for their rating. MON usually runs a few points lower than RON ratings- thus whey R+M is lower on the spec. This spec is a catch all for USA and Europe. It doesn't make any mention of using anything above 87 octane here in the USA.
  • Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    Well, I think it does say "regular or above" for both methods, but you can't weigh the cost/benefit ratio of premium by just talking about efficiency in terms of mpg. If the car gets better mileage, you are stopping to refuel less frequently (not by much but...), so it's more convenient, you are making more power, so that's a performance enhancement, and premium usually has a better detergent/additive package, so valves and/or other fuel system components stay in better shape. Now, comparing the Cruze or other FI car against the CX-5, which has a slightly higher than average compression ratio but is naturally-aspirated, is not an apt comparison. FI engines usually will return a lower cost-per-mile in terms of fuel economy alone when using premium, regardless of what the manual says, but I would doubt most NA-engined vehicles would. But as I say considering mpg alone ignores the other benefits as listed above.
  • Options
    bassracerxbassracerx Member Posts: 188
    im kinda wondering what a tank of premium fuel would do in my honda fit i already get above the epa estimated milage with just regular
  • Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,711
    For vehicles set up for regular, some will and some won't improve with higher octane gas. It depends on the mapping for the ignition system and know sensor. But it won't hurt to try.