Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Tesla

image2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Road Test

The 2013 Tesla Model S has a unique key

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    Give me a key. It doesn't run out of battery. Ever. You really want to impress me? Concentrate on making a decent car, that's all I really ever wanted.
  • remdogremdog Member Posts: 3
    Can we get a video of this? I'm struggling to picture it from the description. Sounds cool, weird, and unique, just the thing you guys should be covering. Thanks
  • heliohybridheliohybrid Member Posts: 2
    "Easy, you put the key on the passenger-side windshield wiper and then push the handle in, it'll pop out and let you in."

I actually read this twice, because the first time did not make any sense.

May we see a video of this?

Does the fob have an RFID inside?

Can you open any door then or just the front passenger-side door? I am wondering why they put the reader near the passenger-side windshield wiper instead of the driver's side, so that you wouldn't have to walk all the way around the car? Any chance the reader can read the fob from the driver's side windshield wiper?

Thanks for adding this car to your fleet. I will be reading every post about it.
  • jacarigjacarig Member Posts: 1
    Seems like you could easily lock or unlock a door by accident if you have this key in your pocket or purse. Nissan/Infiniti has the same issue with their Intelligent Key because the buttons are raised and easily pressed.
  • zhangrenhouzhangrenhou Member Posts: 79
    I'm not sure if you're aware, but the key is a miniature version of the Tesla Model S. That's why you tap those specific areas on the key to operate those sections of the car.