Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 SLP Panther Camaro Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Chevrolet

image2014 SLP Panther Camaro Long-Term Road Test

More quality control issues on Edmunds' 2014 SLP Panther Camaro. Now the center console has come unhinged.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• jeepsrtjeepsrt Member Posts: 88
    I take back my previous comment about judging the quality of this car.....
  • allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    Unacceptable. This wouldn't happen in IL's Kia Forte and that's saying a lot.
  • nomercy346nomercy346 Member Posts: 69
    does the Kia Forte come with 320hp? A V6 Camaro for low $20k does. The SS has the same interior and you get the V8 for the extra money. They obviously have to cut some corners to make that happen
    Pop it back in and enjoy the mechanics of the car...
  • greenponygreenpony Member Posts: 531
    Did this happen with your 2010 Camaro? Certainly you guys had to unplug something from the 12V outlet in that car at some point.
  • jasond52jasond52 Member Posts: 37
    I wonder what's going to pop loose next? Something in the engine, tranny, brakes? Poor GM.

After decades of never buying American, my parents bought a new Tahoe with some trepidation. But it was a good price compared to large European or Japanese SUV's. They had to replace the transmission and rear hatch in the first year. Didn't cost them anything, but the pain of being stranded and towed and the many days in the shop are a major PITA.

Some things never change...
  • greenponygreenpony Member Posts: 531
    Once upon a time my wife drove a 3rd gen Eclipse. One day, upon unplugging something from the 12V in front of the shifter, the 12V plug came with it. It had completely broken free. Granted, the car was probably 5 years old at that point, but it was still unexpected. This Camaro (er.. Panther..) story reminded me of that.
  • ttopjohnttopjohn Member Posts: 25
    I strongly suspect it snaps right back in. Just makes it easier to detail that part of the console.
  • noburgersnoburgers Member Posts: 500
    You brute!!!! I imagine that the power plug fit tighter than expected, but I'm surprised the console is so "lightly" sprung that removing it loosened it up. Knowing this, next time I would just hold the console while removing the accessory. Does this happen with phone chargers, etc.?
  • stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    I imagine that piece had to come off to install the short throw shifter. I would look at SLP more than Chevy as the cause of this one.
  • oachalonoachalon Member Posts: 12
    I agree with stovt001, on that one. That console piece had to come off for SLP to install the shifter. I have taken that center console portion out of my camaro before and it takes quite a bit of force to get it to pop off.

Dont blame GM, blame the re installation at SLP.
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    You guys may be on to something here - good detective work, stovt001. Maybe the same thing with the seat adjuster that came off - ? Those embroidered seatbacks are unique to this car, and maybe the seat bottoms had to change too, in order to match leather - ?