Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2001 Silverado Oil Consumption

brentvobrentvo Member Posts: 5
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet
My 2001 Z71 has had the "Check Engine Oil Level" light come on at 3000 and 6000 miles. I thought maybe that was the oil change warning but after talking to the dealership realized it was consuming oil. They decided to change the oil and do an oil consumption test. 900 miles later it's asking for oil again. The service tech said it was probably the PCV valve and couldn't get another part from GM without first documenting the issue. At one point he climbed up onto the engine and pulled the valve and said he saw oil so he was positive that this was the problem. I'm now sitting on 13k miles but they still haven't gotten the new part in yet. Has anyone else experienced this? Are they blowing smoke? So far this is the only problem I've faced with my truck other than the little "chirp" I hear when taking off. (Does anyone know what that is?) Thanks.

Comments

• seeligseelig Member Posts: 590
    the BBB for resolve when it comes to problems that the dealers are great at somehow not being able to duplicate, or somehow not wanting to fix. the BBB isn't a law firm or anything, but they do help to turn the key in a lot of situations. in this case, i sure feel confident that the mechanic is blowin hot air.
    if you want to try the BBB, here is their number;
    1-800-955-5100
  • lucittelucitte Member Posts: 2
    This is the first time I've seen someone else with the same problem I've had since buying my truck new in December. Same as the 2001 z71. My check engine oil light went on at 800 miles and since then I was adding 1.5 quarts every 500 miles. In addition there were huge plumes of smoke at startup. Dealer suggested giving it a few months to see if it got better. So, after months of delay, keeping oil consumption logs, dyes in the oil, etc, they put in the "special" PCV valve three weeks ago. The oil consumtion stopped immediately along with the smoke. It's been 2000 miles and no oil loss.
    So, as hard as it is to believe, the PCV replacement is the fix.
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    what color smoke?
  • brentvobrentvo Member Posts: 5
    I do feel better knowing that the PCV valve is the problem. The tech also said that GM was aware of the problem but didn't think they would issue a recall, but then again he said he's just a tech. All he can do is document problems and forward them up the chain. I can understand his position. He pointed out 2 other trucks while I was there that was in the shop for the exact same thing. Given the support of the tech and staff, I still wouldn't be needing them in the first place. You would think when you spend $30k on a vehicle you would be buying some piece of mind also. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks for the reply and hopefully I won't need the BBB number (but I have it written down JUST IN CASE)....
    I just got off the phone with the service department at the dealership and the conversation pretty much went like this:

Me: Can I speak to service please?
    Them: Sure, just one moment...(boring music laced with dealership propaganda)

Them: (lady) Service can I help you?
    Me: Hello, my name is blah, and my situation is this, blah blah blah...
    Them:Hmmm...Hang on, how do you spell that name again? I don't see it...Let me check with so and so....

(Pause - More music and propaganda)

Them: How do you spell that again?
    Me: V-O-I-S-I-N , please don't put me on hold again...
    Them: Click - music, #1 corvette dealer since 1993 blah blah blah...

Me: Maybe ya'll should focus on ironing out the kinks on the vehicle you sell most of... Wait a minute, I'm talking to the music....

Them: (A guy now, with the lady in the background) What kind of part do you need sir?
    Me: A PCV valve for a 2001 Z71...
    Them: Click...

Them: (Girl again) Oh, that part is here.
    Me: Really? Did it come in today?
    Them: No, it's been here...
    Me: Really? Do you want to hold it for a few more days so I can spend more money on oil?
    Them: What do you mean?
    Me: At which point were you going to call me and let me know the part was in? Never mind. Can I get my truck fixed today?
    Them: No, we're pretty booked. How's tomorrow sound? Would you like to make an appointment?
    Me: Sure, is 10am open?
    Them: No, booked... How about 3pm?
    Me: Not good for me... How long will this take?
    Them: Don't know, let me talk to Tank, he'll be the one fixing it - Click...

Them: It'll only take him 5 minutes so you can just show up anytime today or tomorrow, it doesn't matter....

So, I will either stop in there this afternoon or tomorrow morning to get my new PCV valve and then will report back on oil consumption. I drive about 150 miles a day on the highway so it won't take me long to find out if it's fixed or not.... Stay tuned as the saga unfolds.....
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    sounds to me like you've got an average dealer. Welcome to the world of GM....

I had to wait two weeks for an appointment to fix my squeaky seat. Found out that they sub the job out...when asked why I had to wait two weeks when THEY weren't working on it....well ya know that dumb look they give ya.....yep that's the one.....manureheads. Hmmm....something like plowheads? Hahahaha
  • lucittelucitte Member Posts: 2
    I had to laugh as I read your phone conversation...I only gave you the short version of what happened in my case. After my dealer had me logging oil consumption for two months they finally scheduled me to leave my truck for 1 week to "fix" it (loaner car and everything). After a week my replacement grandAM (roller skate) blew an alternator so I called them and asked when my truck would be ready. Turns out they hadn't done anything to it but were waiting for the PCV valve to show up (they blamed the 9-1-1 event but this was weeks later). They were going to install the valve and drive it around themselves for a week and then let me have it. I told them forget that,if anyone is going to drive it, it was going to be me and I wanted my truck back!! So I got my truck back with the promise they'll call me as soon as the part is in. That's when I find big scratches on the side of the bed. That's another story. Later in the week we were going on a long trip and since this would put me over the 18,000 mile limit for the lemon law in my state we called for the dealership owner to threaten legal action. Then we find out the part is in and yep, a 5 minute install and the problem was gone. But not after 9 months of really getting jerked around. The local guys really don't have a clue why this new PCV valve works and are totally at the mercy of GMC headquarters. Definately not a secure feeling.
  • seeligseelig Member Posts: 590
    you guys ought to read some of what's going on in the sludge topic on the maintenance board. seems that toyota has some glycol leaking engines that have soured, and sure enough, toyota is puttin the screws to them all.......LOL
    i though it was the role of the domestic builders to shaft everyone.
    hopefully you all get your trucks fixed.
    good luck
    I went to the dealership and got my new pcv valve installed in less than 5 minutes. They asked if I had any other problems and I said "Well, I have a slight rattle on the left hand side of the dashboard"...They new exactly what it was, pulled off the plastic moulding piece that runs upwards from the dash to the top of the cab (it just hides a wire) and put some two sided tape on the clips, problem solved...Still feeling lucky I decided to tell them about the rubber piece around the windshield that now flaps because I put a bugshield on and redirected the airflow...Tech says "No problem" and applied some 3M sticky strips underneath the moulding and problem solved again! (They don't recommend silicon or anything that will harden and become permanent in case you ever have to change the windshield)..

Ok, feeling really really lucky I told them about the "chirp" I now hear when I take off. Tech asks, "Comes from the back?" "Yep" I said...No problem, he was just reading a PI on the exact problem. He orders me a new driveshaft with a nickel plated fitting that won't shift forward or back upon takeoff...What a pleasant experience on behalf of service!

I must admit that I went there expecting the worse and was pleasantly suprised.
  • themailman1themailman1 Member Posts: 95
    The chirping problem,is it for the extended cabs or is it also for the reg. cab shortbed? I have a reg cab sb. and it is doing the same thing.
  • maplemaple Member Posts: 16
    I "had" a 2001 ex-cab SWB 4X4 with the 5.3. At about 2,300 miles the oil light came on and I just figured they didn't put enough in at the factory(I can't believe that I thought that). I put a whole quart in and went on. At 3,200 I got the oil changed(west Texas) and the light than came on at about 2,100 miles after the change and needed a quart. I unloaded it and took a hit, but got a lower % rate. Somewhere in there they got a problem.
  • mlempiremlempire Member Posts: 34
    Go to post your lemons message board if you dare!!
  • rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    http://www.geocities.com/crackeregg/bulletins/01-06-01-029.html

Ryan posted this on Chevy Silverado Problems board but here it is for all.

Ray T.

• minikinminikin Member Posts: 389
  • cowboydancowboydan Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Silverado with a 4.8L engine, and just got the oil consumption problem after 28000mi. It started as I went on a long road trip and after 2000mi the check eng oil light came on. Now I'm under a oil consumption test, and the dealer told me that I would get a new PCV if that comes out to be true that I'm burning oil. Now I see that the new PCV is not recommended for the 4.8L engines, does anyone know of a fix? Thanks
This discussion has been closed.