Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Ram

image2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Long-Term Road Test

Don't let the DEF gauge get to zero on the 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel or you'll be stuck with a truck that doesn't run.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    Good job Ram. A gauge is so much better than waiting for a low level message in the message center like GM and Ford.
  • Options
    hybrishybris Member Posts: 365
    I really hope that the aftermarket will come up with a override of some sort for the rest of us outside of California.
  • Options
    dmosdmos Member Posts: 8
    @hybris - Why? Why would you want to pollute more? Seriously doesn't that seem a bit anarchist to you? Just because it's mandated doesn't mean that it's bad. Seriously, are you one of those people who also don't wear your seatbelt because it's written
  • Options
    dude68dude68 Member Posts: 1
    Article confused me a bit - do the 1500's require a trip to the dealer for a bluetec refill? My 2500 has a fill cap in where the fuel fill is located, and I can buy 2.5 gallons of the EPA juice @ Wallyworld for about $11.50.
  • Options
    duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649
    @dude68: That works too. There should be a FED filler door right by the gas tank door IIRC.

@hybris: That's awful, I hope you never do that (it's also illegal). If you are put off by the idea of adding DEF, you should just buy a regular gasoline engine
  • Options
    hybrishybris Member Posts: 365
    @dmos and duck87 Its not a matter of I want to pollute more its just I hate ANYTHING that disables my vehicle especially if its something as mundane as emissions. I work out of my trucks and I can't have them refusing to start when I'm out in the field of
  • Options
    piredonpiredon Member Posts: 50
    Thank goodness someone decided to put one of these in their diesel vehicle. I'm on my 2nd BMW diesel, and your only warning that you might be getting low is a "Fill within 1000 miles or vehicle will not restart" warning message on the dash. Luckily you can get DEF anywhere these days, but 4 years ago I had to take another vehicle because there was a shot I wouldn't make round trip on the existing tank. You know, the vehicle that gets 20 mpg on it's best day, not 26 on it's worst (I had an X5 35d at the time). Well done Chrysler! Let's hope the rest follow!
  • Options
    americanfree1americanfree1 Member Posts: 1
    Someday in some garage some American will find out how to bypass the system and spread the word, because that is what us American's do, we find ways to be free; instead of being chained to the ground. ;)