Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2014 Toyota Tundra Takes Aim at Domestic Rivals

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Toyota

image2014 Toyota Tundra Takes Aim at Domestic Rivals

The 2014 Toyota Tundra gets a major makeover, more advanced safety features and a new high-end model. It was unveiled at the 2013 Chicago Auto Show.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    ne_blackshirtsne_blackshirts Member Posts: 56
    Looks OK but without any new powertrain updates affraid most buyers will look else where. Admit it 90% of buying a bad a%! truck is for bragging rights to all your Ram, GMC, and Ford buddies. Now all thats left is Nissan hope they offer something that really shakes this market and not play follow the leader like so many do today. Seen an article awhile back and Cummins had a Nissan Titan they were putting a 4cyl Turbo Diesel in and was targeting 28mpg now that would shake this segment up for sure.
  • Options
    camarozonecamarozone Member Posts: 0
    It's been proven before with previous models that the Tundra really doesn't compete against the domestics ! The product gets a small piece of the pie and that's it ! Ford alone topped 600,000 F-150 units for 2012 ! GM doing some redesign and a potential small diesel coming. Dodge Ram on the move with a new V6 and 8 speed automatic and increasing sales every month. Tundra appears OUT OF THE LOOP !
  • Options
    bonzjrbonzjr Member Posts: 44
    Wow. They practically stole the current F150 interior. It's almost a perfect copy. Same basic design, trim, etc. right down to the air vents. It just has Toyota switchgear and gauges. If you can't beat them, join them?
  • Options
    caheewcaheew Member Posts: 0
    I thought I was the only one who saw the F150 interior.
  • Options
    I thought the worst New truck was from GM but atleast they updated there powertrain. Still take a 5.7 Tundra over a new 5.3 GM the company I'm at has had 4 out of 5 engine rebuilds due to Cyl#7 and all those trucks were that stupid placement on demand sales gimmick. But I really hope Nissan hurries and gets there Cummins Titan out before someone beats them to the punch. I've heard Nissan is thinking April 2014 for a new truck release hope thats a joke.
  • Options
    rayzorrayzor Member Posts: 61
    I own a 2011 Toy Taco and was hoping to trade up to the new Tundra...Very disappointed with this so called new design. No new engine tech or tranny upgrades, Ok styling only, cannot compete against what the domestic trucks offered. I was hoping for a least an 8spd tranny and significant engine upgrade to improve efficiency but none of that materialized, so another fail redesign for Toyota...
  • Options
    rayzorrayzor Member Posts: 61
    I own a 2011 Toy Taco and was hoping to trade up to the new Tundra...Very disappointed with this so called new design. No new engine tech or tranny upgrades, Ok styling only, cannot compete against what the domestic trucks offered. I was hoping for a least an 8spd tranny and significant engine upgrade to improve efficiency but none of that materialized, so another fail redesign for Toyota...
  • Options
    plrider4578plrider4578 Member Posts: 5
    As I Toyota fan, I am not disappointed, but outraged! This is what we waited for? This redesign is an epic failure. The exterior changes, IMHO, amount to nothing. The interior is straight out of an F150; down to the last detail. No new engines or transmissions, not even tweaked. This is a complete let down. I honestly don't see any of the full sized trucks competing with Ford. The ATLAS concept was awesome and nearly production ready. The Chevy/GMC offerings are horrible looking and the Dodge is, well, a Dodge.
  • Options
    agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    I'm surprised there is not more comment on the styling. To my eyes it fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down. As for the interior, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Either that or there are only so many places to put stuff where the average human can reach. Take your pick.

I think Toyota may have misjudged the market in not offering 6-speeds throughout the range as a minimum. When it comes to power I give a large "meh!" as I have never heard the Toyotas described as underpowered. Has everybody who buys trucks forgotten the old saying, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
  • Options
    Agentorange; you have a good point on the "ain't broke, don't fix it". I know someone that has a Tundra with the 5.7 and it's a screamer but so is the Titans V8 that truck runs hard. So the Asian V8s have been ahead of the Americans for sometime now. But I feel the biggest negative on the Tundra is the 5 speed and they could have atleast added Direct Injection to boost power and MPGs. Theres just nothing here to make headlines about and lets admit it buying a truck is about who big of a headline your New truck makes.
  • Options
    rboyettrboyett Member Posts: 1
    Is it just me or is that interior very Ford like?

Either way, it is an improvement.
  • Options
    dieseleddieseled Member Posts: 1
    Interior I agree with others looks like a Ford, gauges copied from Ram, and a center console armrest from Chevy, and what is the deal with numerous unsymmetrical badging and engraved tail gate? Toyota can't do more with this truck without copying the Americans. They need much better styling than this to compete, let alone their same drive train. From Tundra HQ mentioning a "definite have" for 2014 is direct injection, traditional styling, more aerodynamic and lower hide height, smaller efficient V6, new frame. And guess what Toyota didn't listened.
  • Options
    camarozonecamarozone Member Posts: 0
    Nice truck,very low volume !
  • Options
    stillwalkingstillwalking Member Posts: 4
    So does this give a good indication of what the new Sequoia will look like... or will there even be a new Sequoia?