Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Fraud Alert: Vehicle "Purchase Protection" Plans

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in General

imageFraud Alert: Vehicle "Purchase Protection" Plans

Get Pre-Approved for a Loan

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• th7th7 Member Posts: 1
    I just received an email attempting to catch me with this SCAM. I have been looking for a used Highlander on Crags List, and I recieved an email thanking me for my inquiry about a 2001 Highlander. The seller claims to be deployed with the Navy and the transaction can be completed through Edmonds at www.edmunds-buysell- protection.com/used-vehicle-purchase-protection which takes me to http://auto-edmunds-buy-sell.comeze.com/ which is all set up to look like Edmonds.
  • MarkHolthoffMarkHolthoff Member Posts: 101
    Thank you for your comment, th7. We have reported the fraudulent website you noted to the website hosting company, and they have now removed it.
  • mexflexmexflex Member Posts: 1
    I just had the same experience as th7 posted for a 2002 Toyota RAV4 listed on Cars.com. The person stated they were in the Navy and provided the same Edmunds site/link guidance. Pretty scary stuff!...
  • jfur1960jfur1960 Member Posts: 1
    Have been looking for an older Acura. Found one on Yahoo Autos. The person finally contacted me and its seems they are going thru a 3rd Party (Edmunds Storage Vaults), due to her husbands health. I believe this to be a scam. The picture of the car in the add was silver and when the lady sent more info and attached pictures the car was navy blue or black. She gave me the link to the company and it is asking to send the agrred upon amount to be paid and they will ship the car. Then you have 5 days to decide whether you want to keep it. Really!!!