Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2014 Volkswagen Passat TSI Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Volkswagen

image2014 Volkswagen Passat TSI Long-Term Road Test

A rainy day brings up a blurry, impressionistic image on the 2014 Volkswagen Passat 1.8T's backup camera.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    greenponygreenpony Member Posts: 531
    The key is to keep the camera as clean as you can. A little bit of road grime or road salt can really muck up the view. The cameras can be tucked away in places that $5 car wash might not get, so just be sure to clean it when the image quality starts to degrade.
  • Options
    cpogordoncpogordon Member Posts: 3
    That happens when water gets on any lens; however, the view immediately behind you that isn't distorted by the fisheye view is still clear and doing the job is was designed for.
  • Options
    cpogordoncpogordon Member Posts: 3
    I'm curious as the the mpg you're getting. I just purchased the 2014 Passat 1.8T TSI SEL and while I expected to only get about 24 - 26 mpg running around town (no highway miles) during my first week I have been averaging 30.8 mpg.
  • Options
    glossgloss Member Posts: 150
    This often happens with our CX-5. Normally it's not awful enough to get in the way, but occasionally we get out and wipe it off.
  • Options
    greenponygreenpony Member Posts: 531
    cpogordon, a lot of new engines have some aggressive DFCO calibration, which could increase your mileage if lift off the accelerator to slow down rather than jabbing at the brakes. Also cars with small engines typically get their best fuel economy at low cruising speeds, maybe 30-40 mph. If this reflects your "around town" driving, then your mpg could be surprisingly high.