Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2012 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Roadster Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Mercedes-Benz

image2012 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Roadster Long-Term Road Test

Follow along on our adventure as we try to put as many miles as possible on our new long-term 2012 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Roadster.

Read the full story here

Comments

• firstshad0wfirstshad0w Member Posts: 0
    About time you guys got an AMG! Looking forward to this long term test :)
  • benson2175benson2175 Member Posts: 68
    Might even get used to this new format reading about this.
  • bassracerxbassracerx Member Posts: 188
    woot a loaner SCORE that means more cars for you to test considering the dent that 911 put in the budget. idk why but 2012 there was not a lot of cars that were lusty in their own way but not that many of them that i could see myself actually purchasing especially after the road tests. 2011 had several (fiat 500, mazda 2, mustang GT) and by the way you guys did not do the fiat 500 justice with your review after spending an extended 3 weeks with a fiat 500 rental i was compleatly smitten i almost bought one but the dealers were compleatly unreasonable for the few used ones locally and the closest dealer is 600 miles away. i ended up buying a honda fit wich is another car that auto journalists are crazy about and i can see the excitment but after driving it for myself you guys definently oversold it.
  • piredonpiredon Member Posts: 50
    I hate you guys...in a very jealous way
  • rock2155rock2155 Member Posts: 20
    Awesome start for the "new" Insideline! Now we only need larger pics and we would be all-set!
  • duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649
    DEAR LORD
  • isaaclisaacl Member Posts: 7
    Wow, while the acquisition of this thing is going to be interesting to follow... almost $250,000 for a long term tester huh? Wow, it makes sense now to see why the almighty click on edmunds.com is being pursued so hard. You need every dollar. My god.
  • bonzjrbonzjr Member Posts: 44
    My conclusion: to make up for the really really really (really!!) crappy new site, you're trying to bribe the readers and posters into coming back with exotic/expensive/interesting rides?

Nice car. New layout still totally sucks. Fire you're 1990s web designers and go hire some junior high kids who like to code and design on the side.
  • jerry_minixjerry_minix Member Posts: 0
    2nd day of the new format and 2 exotic long term cars.... wow.
  • throwbackthrowback Member Posts: 445
    Okay, I'm seriously jealous. When is the next fan meet up? I may have to trek to Cali for it.
  • tubybntztubybntz Member Posts: 11
    BRILLIANT!
  • markinnaples_markinnaples_ Member Posts: 251
    Very nice car, and should be interesting to watch how it goes.

And yes, you all need to upgrade this site.

I cannot access the 2nd page of comments.
  • evodadevodad Member Posts: 135
    This should be an interesting 6 months
  • stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    Wow I heard Mercedes usually doesn't do LT loans, and now they give you the best of the fleet. I LOVE the SLS. For anyone questioning if this transition to Edmunds will kill the content, just look at the fleet. This is one of the best fleets we've enjoyed in the 7ish years I've been around here. Please let me know when you drive this on GMR.
  • noburgers_noburgers_ Member Posts: 79
    Did MB put any stipulations on the loan, such as no track days? You guys need to drive this in every way you can! Track it (video must be provided), canyon visits, meet&greets, the whole deal. Will you drive it like the old Z06, or baby it? Also, describe how it feels to go back driving the other sports cars after driving this one--letdown, or just a different flavor?
  • zr1manzr1man Member Posts: 19
    At almost a quarter of a million dollars it can't even keep up with a ZR1. I don't think it is worth it.

On a side note, I am glad to see a lot of the former IL readers now commenting on the Edmund's site. I always said you would get used to the change.
  • yaymx5_yaymx5_ Member Posts: 49
    Provided by manufacturer? Or, did edmunds pay out of pocket for this?
  • bassracerxbassracerx Member Posts: 188
    BURNOUTS! BURNOUTS BURNOUTS BURNOUTS!
  • vroom2vroom2 Member Posts: 3
    So Mercedes gave you a $200K to play with for a year and we expect you to be impartial about your experiences? Does riding the Mercedes gravy train also affect your journalistic integrity when reviewing other MB products?
  • firstwagonfirstwagon Member Posts: 0
    "On a side note, I am glad to see a lot of the former IL readers now commenting on the Edmund's site. I always said you would get used to the change."

Think of it as trading in your new Cruze for an old Cobalt. You can used to it and it will do the job but everyday you're reminded that it's second rate. I go here once or twice a week now instead of once or twice a day. Judging by the low number of comments on cars that should be hot topics I can see I'm not the only one.
  • firstwagonfirstwagon Member Posts: 0
    "On a side note, I am glad to see a lot of the former IL readers now commenting on the Edmund's site. I always said you would get used to the change."

Think of it as trading in your new Cruze for an old Cobalt. You can used to it and it will do the job but everyday you're reminded that it's second rate. I go here once or twice a week now instead of once or twice a day. Judging by the low number of comments on cars that should be hot topics I can see I'm not the only one.
  • max_stirlingmax_stirling Member Posts: 4
    This, along with the 911 and the Jeep GC SRT8, are the type of long term vehicles that interest me. Sure Camrys and Accords have a lot of potential buyers out there, but for the most part, they are drama free and low cost of ownership.

Educate us on how these dream machines do everyday and how expensive they are to own. Are they really out of reach or should they remain a dream for us 99%.
  • stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    Firstwagon be that as it may I'm glad to see you're still sorta around here. I've always enjoyed reading your input and felt you were one of the key members of the old IL community. Hopefully in time the format will be given an IL-style extreme makeover and we'll be rewarded for giving this a shot. Change takes time to iron out the issues.
  • jpnpowerjpnpower Member Posts: 0
    I'm also glad that the others have made it. (those others are probably not glad that I'm back. *grumble*)
  • jpnpowerjpnpower Member Posts: 0
    Dear Edmunds, the cars are nice. yeah 911 yeah sls, but I want my IL back. Would I trade a 911 LT blog for propper blogs? sure! Wil I trade an SLS long term for propper comments? Definitely. Remember what made you special, and don't turn into just another hi price car site. You had awesome car news. Now what! Just today I hear from google that there is a new Lexus IS. No Edmunds news article on that. unacceptable. Make the site better and auto-shows more accessible. More IL like. I'll say it again, and I think that at least some of the people here agree. Good job with the supercars, now take a break and give us a propper site.
  • gilchygilchy Member Posts: 8
    This car is not a ZR1 competitor. If every vehicle was judged solely on $/lap time, nothing would measure up to leaderbikes.

Excited to read about this car!
  • digitalmayordigitalmayor Member Posts: 1
    I feel compelled to second what bonzjr just posted...... I miss that clean/ modern/ young look of the insideline page.

looks aside,... edmunds is still way more bad-[non-permissible content removed] then the others.

You website could reflect that cool vibe just as your Santa Monica office reflects. sigh wish we worked in the water gardens.