Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Car Technology and Privacy

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited March 2015 in General
imageCar Technology and Privacy

Modern car technology is capable of knowing where you've been, who you've called, what your texts say, and more. Here's how to combat invasions of privacy.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    gregnvgregnv Member Posts: 9
    This article should be linked to the Edmunds Tesla NYT article: http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/tesla-and-the-new-york-times-battle-over-model-s-review.html

When I first read about Tesla's rebuttal to the NYT story, that the driver took an un-reported detour and didn't recharge the battery fully, I though what else does Tesla know from the car's telemetry system. Does Tesla get this real time, or only when the car is "docked"? If I drive a Tesla, will they know when I stopped for fast food, starbucks, or Frys? Will they know when I stop at a Ford dealership when I am thinking about trading it in?

Maybe I am old fashioned, but I think I'll keep my cheap gas guzzling stupid car that minds its own business for a while rather than jumping to one of these expensive, electron sipping smart cars that tells its maker every detail of my travels.
  • Options
    quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    "Pudar suggests a police station near your home. "If someone steals your car and they navigate 'home,' they'll be in for a big surprise."" I think that if you car is stolen, its a two day joy ride and a sale of anything in it. But if this "I'm going to steal your car and then swing by your house" craze is actually real, I would be more than happy to patiently wait at my house for whoever stole my car. I think the car thief would get a better "surprise" from me than he would from a police station....
  • Options
    greenponygreenpony Member Posts: 531
    My car doesn't have a locking glove box. Guess I'm SOL if someone wants to break into my car to find out my address.
  • Options
    quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    @greenpony: What car do you own if you don't mind me asking?
  • Options
    meteor10meteor10 Member Posts: 59
    the privacy problem will not be solved. because producers develop all these systems to know, what you are doing, they get more profit out of that. the same as you own an iPhone and everyone knows what you are doing, what you ate etc...