Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Subaru WRX Spotted Testing in Germany

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Subaru

image2014 Subaru WRX Spotted Testing in Germany

2014 Subaru WRX spotted testing at the Nurburgring.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• pontiacbixler0pontiacbixler0 Member Posts: 3
    What a crock of s#¡%!!!!!
    I was ready to switch to Subaru because of the concept car, but if they are going to bait and switch, then no thank you.
  • ks55ks55 Member Posts: 8
    I suggest everyone chill until we actually see the new version in the metal . Mules have been known to use existing sheet metal with updated new mechanicals underneath. I highly doubt the 20's on the concept would survive or the neon exhaust tips.........but some of the other metal could still show to the Subaru party. This shot looks much too similar to an existing STI version.
  • hit27hit27 Member Posts: 2
    If this is the Mule, then it looks like the kind of ones that run around by Oatman Arizona!!! Even over the camouflage, its easy to tell that this thing is WAY toned down over the concept.....SMH =(
  • stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    People threw a fit when the Volt was "watered down" from concept to production even though the concept had the aerodynamics of a brick with a parachute attached, and people threw a fit when the Camaro was barely changed at all from concept to production, even though it had less than brilliant visibility and ergonomics. You're pretty limited on the conclusions you can draw from a camouflaged early test mule, and most changes from concept to production are going to make it better to actually live with.
  • legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    A few observations:
    1) The WRX/STI were never known for their looks. It's what's underneath that counts. It is hard to have any serious discussion about this car without any performance details.
    2) I'm actually kind of happy to see that this car is sticking pretty close to the Impreza. It keeps costs down. It keeps the car somewhat practical. It's the whole point of the WRX. If Subaru wants a standalone performance sedan that's fine. But the WRX/STI should be rooted in the Impreza.
    3) A concern is how this will perform relative to the current models. Subaru sacrificed a lot in the name of the fuel efficiency in the current Impreza. I'm hoping the platform can support the performance we hope to see in this model and not be some watered down version like the unloved GT of a few years back.
    4) People will be complaining about the drop of 0.5L and probably some power. These people should be reminded that there was a bit of an uproar when the WRX moved to the 2.5L turbo from the 2.0L turbo which had previously powered the car and was the specification for WRC cars.
    5) The current Impreza is not a great looking car. But it improves tremendously in the conversion to the Crosstrek. Here's to hoping that a few aero and styling tweaks will do the same to the WRX.
    6) I have enjoyed the years where the WRX was hatchback only to avoid the ridiculous wing. Subaru, please ditch the wing. And get the hatchback ready.
  • legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    One more thing: I loved the WRX concept in pictures but saw it at the NY Auto Show and was hugely disappointed. It was a bit of a mess. Inconsistent styling. Painted like a bowling ball. Nothing like an Impreza (which is OK but not consistent with its history). In fact, the prior year's Impreza concept was much better looking than the WRX concept.
  • joefrompajoefrompa Member Posts: 64
    This is the first comment I'm leaving since the re-design from Insideline.com - ugh.

The concept was truly excellent - they don't need to do it spot on, but the camouflage above has a little TOO much the shape of a Nissan Sentra.

Really hoping Subaru unveils a new well engineered 2.0-2.5 liter flat four turbo platform. The old 2.5 was stuck using some pretty old-school block technology and just did not flow well enough to be an efficient platform.
  • darthbimmerdarthbimmer Member Posts: 606
    I agree with what @legacygt is getting at. The WRX's heritage is as a stoplight sleeper. Give it just enough visual tweaks to let fellow gearheads know that you've got the model with the real-deal hardware underneath. The folks wanting a car that screams "Look at me, everybody, I look like a racer!" can always buy a Camaro.
  • daxwdaxw Member Posts: 1
    I thought the concept in NY was for the 2015, being that they didn't want to release the all new WRX the same year as the ALL NEW Forrester? Obviously so the Forrester can shine this year, and the WRX next? It looks like a Civic with a Lancer nose and horrific Subaru spoiler. Regardless, I can't wait to see the final product, my hopes are low that it will be nearly as stylish as the Concept. Just as long as they continue to be beautiful mechanically.
  • dbc112dbc112 Member Posts: 3
    How horrible this makes me feel.. I have been waiting for years for the resigned. When the concept hit I felt they really nailed it.

Oh well, back to my S4 with Audi. Until subaroo can get the design right, I am out.
  • cfberry22cfberry22 Member Posts: 0
    man, what a disappointment. I was SOLD, all they had to do was make one....this version looks just like everything else. Sad, just sad......
  • angry_mushroomangry_mushroom Member Posts: 0
    Release it as a wagon, and give it better fuel economy, and I'm sold. Also a 6 speed would be excellent. Seriously... the only thing more outdated than the design was the transmission.
  • stradovinski13stradovinski13 Member Posts: 2
    I still hold out hope there is a hatch version coming as well. The show car was a bit too flashy for me, and I think I am a hatch guy for life now. Too much utility added not to have it. If they do bring a hatch, it will definitely be on my list of possible next cars. Currently in a GTI which I have found can haul way more than my old Maxima. Never liked SUVs so hatches it is. Come on Subaru!