Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently bought/leased a new car online and requested a home delivery due to coronavirus? A reporter would like to speak to you; please reach out to [email protected] by 4/2 for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

A Shocking Expose: Your Car's Battery

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Posts: 10,112
edited September 2014 in General

imageA Shocking Expose: Your Car's Battery

A Shocking Expose: Your Car's Battery article on Edmunds.com

Read the full story here

Comments

• alekkalekk Posts: 1
    "Sulfuric acid is highly caustic" please change Cuastic to Acidic.
  • tiger57tiger57 Posts: 1
    Very nice explanation, however what I need to know was not explained ie specifically how to properly charge a depleted battery. I have read about using differing amperage levels in the process but am still confused . Perhaps some one who is knowledgeable could reply to me by email with the information that I am seeking . Many thanks
  • Great article. Can anyone confirm that the cells should be topped-up so that the electrolyte just touches the bottom of the fill well.

I always thought the level was about half way between the top of the plates and the base of the fill wells ? PLEASE NOTE topping up should be done AFTER the battery is fully charged, as the electrolyte will expand on charging.
  • My '95 Lexus SC 300, 5 speed, had a lock out switch under the
    clutch, so that the car must have the clutch fully depressed in
    order to start the engine. I assumed that 'big brother' had
    mandated this for those who didn't know to shift to neutral
    prior to twisting the key.
    One of the big advntages to owning a manual shift vehicle is
    the ability to run it out of a flooded area with the starter, if the
    engine quits. Therefore, I defeated the lock out circuit.
  • hammerdoghammerdog Posts: 2
    Alekk wrote "Acidic instead of cuastic". You're so right, Alekk! Sulfuric is like less than a 1 Ph.
    Other than that, it's a good article. I'm currently ( pun intended) troubleshooting my truck, as the battery went dead in two days.... Hopefully, the charged battery will be the solution, not a new alternator, or voltage regulator or short to ground. News at eleven. Good luck! And Cheers. :)
  • hammerdoghammerdog Posts: 2
    H2SO4 is highly Acidic, NOT Caustic. Thanks.