Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 Porsche 911 Carrera Cabriolet Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Porsche

image2013 Porsche 911 Carrera Cabriolet Long-Term Road Test

The engine-control system fault in our 2013 Porsche 911 Carrera Cabriolet is likely a problem with the tank leakage diagnostics module.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    So....you pay $100K for a Porsche and the assistant service manager diagnoses MIL's without even looking at the car? Hopefully there is more to this post and the car was properly diagnosed by a tech with a scan tool who later confirmed the originally "divined" diagnosis. If it were my $100K car, I would have had a major issue with the assistant service manager taking it upon himself to guess at the problem without even looking at the car. My 2011 Hyundai Sonata is nowhere near as advanced as this Porsche, and the techs always scan for codes before diagnosing any issues (luckily only 1 issue in 41,200 miles of ownership.) The Hyundai Service Manager even confirmed that a scan would be done to determine the issue. That is how it should be done.
  • Options
    zcalvertzcalvert Member Posts: 76
    @ryster... settle down. it's a known issue and the guy knew what needed to be done. why waste the customer's or the service tech's time if it's unnecessary?
  • Options
    hooninaroundhooninaround Member Posts: 40
    @zcalvert- I am sure Mr. Lachnit had the car scanned and simply forgot to state this in the post. I do agree with ryster though, as far as not taking the Porche tech on his word. If it was me I could not be comfortable until I saw proof that this simple
  • Options
    misterfusionmisterfusion Member Posts: 471
    And as usual, it wasn't lupus.
  • Options
    miedenmieden Member Posts: 75
    Sounds about right. To those crying...a BRAND NEW model barely ever sets off MIL so soon unless there's a flaw in production. If there is, the techs (and service writers) get used to the cars coming back and dont really need to "scan it". If the vehicle had any real problems there would be driveability complaints and the MIL would be flashing instead of just illuminated.
  • Options
    davisdvmdavisdvm Member Posts: 2
    I've looked at several 2012 911s (991s) that had a few miles and were certified. Figured it might be a way to save some money and get the longer warranty. I love the cars but a review of the car fax documents shows that the cars have had NUMEROUS recalls and this tank leakage module is just another example of problems with a new model. We've all heard it before, don't buy the first year of any new model, and it appears to apply here as well. probably best to wait for 2014s to let Porsche get the details figured out.
  • Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    Oh, for Christs' sake - two posts to tell us it has a CEL, but you haven't bothered to pull the codes. Now another post to tell us the service manager got the problem by osmosis. I dunno - they just act like they're never owned a car before or dealt with a dealership. If a week goes by, the parts come in and are installed, and there is still a code, I would be on that service manager like white on rice.
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,434
    Teething problems do arise, but they know what the problem is so no harm, no foul. My Mom's 2011 Cayenne was the 1st year of production (DI engine, 8 speed automatic) and has been absolutely bulletproof in 50K miles.

My 2011 BMW 328xi (in it's 7th year of production, E90s came out in 2005) has a recall, a faulty trunk latch, and a passenger side adaptive headlight that lights up the tree tops. Does that make it a bad car? Not at all. Things happen, that's why cars come with warranties.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    akula1akula1 Member Posts: 0
    German is to electronics as Greek is to hard work.
  • Options
    zcalvertzcalvert Member Posts: 76
    Look, it's a diagnostics module in a German car, which means it's probably made by Bosch or Continental - both companies with very good reputations. Bad batches of parts occasionally come from every supplier. Sucks for the owner, sure, but it's just the way it goes sometimes.
  • Options
    agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    @zcalvert Germany seems to have developed a penchant for this stuff just lately. Ask a bunch of recent BMW owners about high pressure fuels pumps. Hint: wear Kevlar.