Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2012 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Roadster Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Mercedes-Benz

image2012 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Roadster Long-Term Road Test

With so many intricate parts involved in the mechanical choreography of its soft top, our 2012 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Roadster is headed back to the shop.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    evodadevodad Member Posts: 135
    just what you want out of your $200k convertible
  • Options
    mercedesfanmercedesfan Member Posts: 365
    This sounds to me like something that wasn't repaired correctly in the first place. The chances of a failure in exactly the same place twice in as many months is highly unlikely unless its operator error (something I highly doubt). I would consider going to a different dealership to have it fixed this time.
  • Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    Jesus - I have had my share of holding a dealership's service department by the hand to get a warranty repair done right, but I thought with a quarter-million-dollar car that kind of thing was supposed to go away - ? Guess not.
  • Options
    benson2175benson2175 Member Posts: 68
    It's warranty work. It's a really expensive car. They should have done it right the first time. They probably tried a quick fix. In my experience the thing about MBs is that a quick fix will turn into a long disaster down the line. Just do it right the first time.
  • Options
    agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    This car is turning out to be a bit of an expensive turd. The dealership is not helping either by the looks of it.
  • Options
    flapsmcgeeflapsmcgee Member Posts: 0
    This car has had so many random little problems. You'd think a car this expensive would do a little better.
  • Options
    zcalvertzcalvert Member Posts: 76
    so this is right about the time that MB regrets giving you this for a test, right? the insane $ premium MB charges for their perceived built quality isn't looking so great at the moment.
  • Options
    duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649
    Is it really dealership error? The car spent a long time in the shop, parts were ordered and stuff was replaced. Is it possible that the convertible top was just poorly designed. German engineering in the haus, jah?
  • Options
    Reading these comments makes me realize what a tough job automakers really have. Aside from the faulty top, this car has had 3 issues: a dead battery, a rogue CEL that never returned (probably heat-soak related), and a console lid that got stuck once. This in spite of the fact that it was an abused press loaner prior to this test AND is a low-volume exotic. This car has proven to be incredibly durable yet people are ready to throw it under the bus for bad reliability.
  • Options
    duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649
    @mercedesfan: I think most people are willing to forgive those particular faults since they're minor issues in the grand scheme of things... but this is the convertible top, which is a pretty major repair item and has failed twice now in quick succession
  • Options
    @duck87,

Absolutely, the failed top is a big issue and I'm not trying to belittle it. Nevertheless, this is the only reliability issue they have had with the car. For a low-volume exotic with 23K miles on it that is ridiculously good. My M3 had way more
  • Options
    akula1akula1 Member Posts: 0
    Ja, das ist ein Design error. Oy vey!