Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Any 6.2 diesel truck owners anymore??

focustechfocustech Member Posts: 9
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet
I recently purchased an 1982 short-box Chevy w/a 6.2 and a 4 on the floor..........shows 84k not sure though. Has a slight oil consumption problem. Is that normal??

Comments

• Options
    quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    That mileage seems kind of low for 20 year old model year. But if using a little oil is all you have to complain about, no big deal in my opinion.
  • Options
    urcndusturcndust Member Posts: 4
    I still own my 83 with the 6.2 and if it only uses a little oil, it's no problem.
    My truck is an 83 by title only. I did a body off restoration in 95 and rebuilt the engine in 98, then installed a Banks turbo with a 3" exhaust, installed a NV 4500 transmission and it has 4.11 rear gears. The truck doesn't see snow anymore and is only used for towing my 6500# fifth wheel with the 2500# boat behind. It does a good job, but is a little under powered pulling long hills. Going to retire it when the new 2500HD with the duramax comes in.
  • Options
    chevytruck_fanchevytruck_fan Member Posts: 432
    you should go check out the www.thedieselpage.com
    great people over there, whole site is GM diesels.
  • Options
    quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    They have a (smaller) section for Powerstroke and Cummins too. Also 6.2, 6.5L GM.
  • Options
    bamatundrabamatundra Member Posts: 1,583
    If you go to dieselpage.com you will see many instances of the duramax hard starting, rough idling, massive fuel leaks, and engines fragmenting.

My suggestion - get a powerstroke. It is a proven design. GM may get the duramax right in a few years. As usual - they are trying out their untested designs on the unsuspecting truck buyer. Caveat Emptor!
  • Options
    mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    ..maybe's he's right?....go look at the Toyota 1 ton Diesel....DOHH!

- Tim
  • Options
    hunter98hunter98 Member Posts: 273
    I have a duramax and don't see any of those problems. I also frequent the diesel page, and the rough idle isn't a problem, and for the most part has been fixed with software updates on the 2001's. The hard starting, haven't really heard much on that one, massive fuels leaks, there have been a few leaks that needed to get fixed, I wouldn't call them massive, most of the fuel that has been spilt, has been spilt by people changing their fuel filter. ENGINES FRAGMENTING, that is a new one on me???

Hunter
  • Options
    focustechfocustech Member Posts: 9
    Since I work at a Ford dealer, I can vouch for the powerstroke. However I just had a 2002 with 2700 miles with broken rocker arms for number 8!! Everybody had pretty much black-balled me for the 6.2, but so far I like it. Something different for a change. Thanks for all the input.
  • Options
    badrammanbadramman Member Posts: 61
    The H.O.Cummins will out-perform the PSD. I've drove both and I'll give the Ford it's respects: It will accelerate quicker and it's quieter. It's a nice truck to do alot of traveling with.
    But when it comes to towing heavy loads, you just can't beat an in-line 6 diesel in torque.
    As for the DMAX. The numbers are quite impressive and I think It'll be a good engine. There are 2 things that turn me away though.

1) The Allison auto downshifts way too quickly. You never get the chance to use the low torque the engine is capable of. And from what I was told ( by the Chevy dealers) the Alli is the only trans. available with the DMAX, I dunno??

2)Price. Dealers in my area are asking about $6000 more than an equally equipped Ford PSD or Dodge Cummins. This is why I've seen only 1, yes ONE on the road. NO 3/4 truck is worth $43,000!! That's insane. I have difficulty giving $37,000 for a Cummins.
  • Options
    hunter98hunter98 Member Posts: 273
    First of all, the downshifting problem is solved with the updates. I have 255x85R16 tires, when the speedometer is showing 61 MPH or more, you can go full throttle up to the governer, without it going out of 5th. At 50 MPH-60 (on the speedometer) full throttle won't down shift the truck, until it has increased about 7-8 mph. This is with the cruise on, full to the floor throttle, without the cruise on, will always downshift at 72 mph or less.

You can order the duramax with the ZF 6 speed, that is similar to the one in the ford truck. Yes the trucks may cost a little bit more, but I feel they are worth it.

Hunter
  • Options
    Quad has a Duramax with a manual........

and I know 2 people with Powerchokes....(95 and 2001)...and 4 people with Duramax (driven both Fords and 2 of the Duramax) and I see nothing like you suggest....

just admit that Chevy can build a good truck Batman!

..ALL COMPANYS test and test then release and still find hang ups...it's called life pal!!..

admit your love for the Bowtie and be clean

- Tim
  • Options
    badrammanbadramman Member Posts: 61
    I stand corrected, I didn't personally get to test drive the DMAX. A friend did when they first hit the lots and he told me about it. So I didn't waste my time. But I'm glad to hear GM addressed the shifting and provided updates. I didn't know they're available with a 6-speed. The dealers are pushing the Allison right now. And I don't want an auto in a diesel.

I do like Chevy trucks. I like the interior and the driving (at least in the 1/2 ton) better than the Dodge. But I decided I wanted a diesel and the Chevy's were far and away the most expensive. I didn't want to take a second mortgage for a truck, if it was a Ferarri it might be different:)
  • Options
    might have got ya mixed with someone else who doesn't like Gm...

I hear ya on the second mortage theory.....especially with these trucks on 3 years and 0%!

- Tim
  • Options
    chevytruck_fanchevytruck_fan Member Posts: 432
    I think bama is referring to how they make the engine, the freeze the connecting rods then fracture them so they only go back togather one way

think he is digging for anything to say.
This discussion has been closed.