Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Scion FR-S Long Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Scion

image2013 Scion FR-S Long Term Road Test

Is our 2013 Scion FR-S's airbag sensor on the fritz or just extra sensitive?

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• sharpendsharpend Member Posts: 177
    Holy &*^%! It looks like Edmunds actually listened to its readers - for a change - and went back to the blog format as on IL. Well done but there is still a long, long way to go to make it as good as the Award Winning IL site. Sigh.
  • noburgers_noburgers_ Member Posts: 79
    I got on today, at home due to the snowstorm, and nearly fell off my chair! Why you didn't get the site ready day one like this is a "New Coke" lesson I thought every business understood. Well, congratulations. It isn't perfect, but much closer to the old usable format.
    Caroline, what are you carrying in that purse to activate the airbag? My car needs a pony in the passenger seat to turn on the airbag
  • noburgers_noburgers_ Member Posts: 79
    hey, can you get a link to go back to the long-term car main page added?
  • autoguy72autoguy72 Member Posts: 0
    My guess is that your phone's signal is messing with the occupant weight sensor in the passenger seat. Try turning the phone off then see if the seat belt warning light comes on.

Oh, and THANK YOU for bringing back the old format!
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    Isn't that why they invented Bluetooth, and Bluetooth audio, so that while driving you could leave your phone on your person wherever you normally carry it? You are basically telling us that you are dinking around with your cell phone's apps while you're driving. I thought we had arrived at a general societal consensus that that was a bad idea - ?
  • quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    It is not a weight sensor. It is an Electrostatic Capacitance Sensor, which your phone triggers. Some info should be in the owner's manual.
  • p1racephotop1racephoto Member Posts: 2
    Sounds like the FR-S has capacitive seat sensors: common these days. These work by detecting an electrical current - normally from a human's skin - and not just weight, so the capacitive screen in your phone (assuming you have a touchscreen phone), which works by the same principal, may set it off. I've had it happen in my daily driver Mazda 3. That said, the fact you can't repeat it may mean something else was the cause. Did you have your phone on (i.e. screen active) when it occurred before? If so, that's your answer. Happy to be corrected if wrong.
  • p1racephotop1racephoto Member Posts: 2
    Wow, so the website no longer displays comments when you log-in. Great. Now I've essentially repeated a day-old answer. Apologies to Quadricycle.