Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Chevy Malibu Questions

dvc1492sdvc1492s Posts: 13
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet
I have a 98 Chevy Malibu which after checking the power steering level this weekend I noticed it being a bit low. The trip to the local auto parts store turned up negative on the purchase of a pint / quart of "power steering fluid". One interesting comment that I received from the attendant was that this unit is Korean made and probably uses "Honda" fluid. There is a listing for "PS" fluid in the Quaker State book but short of going to a GM dealer (just can bring my self to getting dragged over the hot coals), does anyone know if this is true? Any response would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• 0patience0patience Oregon CoastPosts: 1,712
    Specifications
    This is the recommended fluids for your vehicle.

GM Power Steering Fluid (GM P/N 1052884 - 1 pint or 1050017 - 1 quart, or equivalent). In cold climates use (GM P/N 12345866 - one pint, GM P/N 12345867 - one quart, or equivalent).

NOTE: The system should be flushed and bled prior to switching fluid types.
  • jap350jap350 Posts: 4
    What type of fluid is it that GM Spec's Call for. (Dexron, mercon, merconV)??
  • alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    ...none of the above. Opatience already stated that it's GM Power Steering Fluid and provided the part numbers.
    Sorry, I'm a little slow on these things. So we can only get the fluid from GM?
  • alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    You have 2 choices:

1 - buy any aftermarket power steering fluid which states the following on the label: meets or exceeds GM 9985010, Chrysler MS-5931, Ford M2C-128D, AMC 4060, Volkswagen TL-VW-570-26

2 - go to ANY GM dealer and buy power steering fluid
    Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.