Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 Porsche 911 Carrera Cabriolet Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Porsche

image2013 Porsche 911 Carrera Cabriolet Long-Term Road Test

The pedals on the 911 don't lend themselves to left foot braking which seems kind of odd given that it's an automatic.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    Left foot braking is for the track, nowhere else (my opinion). Then again I learnt how to drive with a clutch so it just doesn't feel right. Actually I've never really tried it, but I imagine that it would feel strange.
  • Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    Yeah - that's a good idea - let's move the brake pedal further away from the accelerator and make it take longer to get to, for the 99.95% of the drivers who brake with their right feet, and make it a non-standard distance away, into the bargain. There was a very interesting article on TTAC, by Jack Baruth, in which he presents an argument against left-foot braking while wearing three-point belts. Three-point belts don't keep you from sliding forward a few inches in a panic stop, so you use your left foot to brace against the dead pedal. Go try it in a parking lot - you'll see. So in left-foot braking, in a panic stop, your left and right feet are jammed down onto the brake and gas pedals, simultaneously. I bet that's great for getting the shortest possible braking distance. Also, you can't left-foot-brake on any regular basis when driving stick, so now you have different foot assignments for the brake pedal, depending on what tranny you're driving? No, thanks.
  • Options
    nsbio1nsbio1 Member Posts: 75
    Yes, and the steering wheel is not very comfortable to turn with the right foot.
  • Options
    stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    It isn't safer when you've been triggering the brake light for the past 50 miles so the car behind you can't tell when you actually really get on the brakes.
  • Options
    jederinojederino Member Posts: 0
    Are there good after-market pedal options to adjust the spacing, either for heel-toing or the other way for the dreaded left-foot braking?
  • Options
    agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    "...and it's safer." Got some anecdotes or scientific study to back that up or is that just Sweeping Statement #265974123