Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 Porsche 911 Carrera Cabriolet Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Porsche

Comments

• Options
    ne_blackshirtsne_blackshirts Member Posts: 56
    My wifes 2013 VW GLI says 95 RON or 91 on the gas door. I wish we could get 95 coast to coast. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating
    towards the bottom see Regional Variations very interesting to see how high the octane is Vs. USA
  • Options
    cjasiscjasis Member Posts: 274
    Don't blame Porsche for CARB's stupidity.

BTW - quite a few 997.1 owners experience(d) occasional pinging on 91 octane (even Tier 1 gas). Many of us will blend some very expensive 100 octane when tracking our cars to try and alleviate. It sucks, but such is the price of living in this crazy state.
  • Options
    huybuihuybui Member Posts: 0
    thats asking for trouble. lol.
  • Options
    jpnpowerjpnpower Member Posts: 0
    Come to Japan! Where standard hi-oc gas is 96 octane!
  • Options
    bassracerxbassracerx Member Posts: 188
    get you some octane boosters? import some gasoline from another state?
  • Options
    eric_leric_l Member Posts: 7
    I do like how Porsche clearly displays that their recommendation is "octane rating" which is the average of MON and RON. However, it is unfortunate that few people understand the distinction between MON and RON, and confuse the pump octane in foreign markets as being significantly higher than what we can get in the USA. It is more or less equivalent to the 93 octane rating available in most states. As for 91 in California, I highly doubt that there will be any pinging or damage to vehicles using 91 given modern engine control systems, and the fact that these vehicles are sold all over the world and in places where high octane would not be available. If the engine were to regularly ping on 91, do you really think Porsche would warranty the engine for the entire period? Go ahead and put 100 in there if it makes you feel better, but the car will experience absolutely no increase in longevity as a result.
  • Options
    agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    Much of the US West of the Rockies is a 93 Octane free zone.