Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Cadillac ATS Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Cadillac

Comments

• quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    Hmm, might as well get the 3.6L then right? Its going to cost less than two thousand more, you'll get the same mpg, more power and torque, and only add 90 lb. to the weight of the car. Why not?
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    Well, it costs more, that's why not, although that might not be an issue for some people. The 3.6 makes more torque above 3500 rpm but the 2.0 makes more from 1700-3500. The 2.0 is going to be more tuneable for cheaper - Trifecta Tune is already making around 335 crank torque on these engines. Getting to those levels on the NA 3.6 would be a very different proposition.
    Tuneability on a Cadillac? I'm sure that there's a market for it but still, I would think that customers of Cadillac who want to go fast will just take the 3.6L, the half second quicker to sixty, and its warranty. Also, the difference between the two is $1800, not insignificant, but not terrible on a $35,000 car. Especially not when you consider the additional cost of a tune (and whatever else) to get the T2.0L up to that level. There'll still be a difference in price, but it won't be huge. Regardless, the whole reason that I'm having this thought is that I was expecting more from the T2.0L. The power is actually fine, but better fuel efficiency and weight savings of more than ninety lb. would have been better. At least you can get a stick with the T2.0L....
  • s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    Automobile Mag in their July update of their long-term ATS V6 said they are averaging 22 mpg combined.

I'm suspect of that because in their intro they clearly show a photo of the IP that indicates Avg MPG of 16.5; could have been after testing, though...
  • desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    So for $1800 more the v6 version has a smoother more powerful and better sounding motor that gets about the same mpg?
    @desmolicious: That's my though process... Brent Romans agrees too if memory serves. On a luxury car, $1,800 is actually quite the deal. Ask BMW for example, they want $4,400 for a 328i over a 320i. To be honest though, you probably get some extra equipme
    *CHANGES not chances. Sorry.
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    Yeah, people tune Cadillacs. Probably to keep it stock, the V6 is a better idea, but if you're going to tune, a forced-induction engine is a lot easier.