Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2014 Mercedes-Benz E-Class First Drive

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Posts: 10,126
edited September 2014 in Mercedes-Benz

Comments

• The lead-in was a bit misleading, as the diesel variant isn't described until well into the article. However, it does look a little better. It resembles an Accord now more than ever. The in-your-face grille of the sport models works well for me--I would have laughed it off as cartoonish based on the description alone, but somehow, I manage to like it. Bold.
  • ab22_ab22_ Posts: 3
    Never had a diesel and can't bring myself to buy one yet. That being said, on the question asked in the title. I think 4 Cylinders do belong in luxury sedans. I guess if every buyer was a 16 year old male, this doesn't make sense.

In my late 30's, a family, do a lot of driving in a town with terrible traffic. I don't need 300+ hp so that I only get an average of maybe 20 mpg while doing a lot if in-traffic / city driving. Give me a roomy luxury car that isn't as common as your run of the mill 3 series or Honda Accord. Add to that about 24 mpg, 0-60 of 7.7 or better and a design that is more upscale...I'm sold.
  • I miss the two part headlights... The new diesel sounds like a decent alternative to the old one, but replacing the E550 with that 3.0TT V6? Boooo...
  • Nothing wrong with a 4cyl diesel engine in a luxury car. All that low down torque works perfectly for our market.
  • alex38alex38 Posts: 30
    i hate this Emunds format vs IL
  • I agree that there's nothing wrong with a boosted 4 cylinder in a medium to large luxury car, but there's also nothing wrong with a V8 either. A shopper in this class should be allowed to be a little indulgent.