Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Says "No" to F-150 Diesel, but Chrysler Says Ram 1500 Diesel Makes Sense

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Chrysler

imageFord Says "No" to F-150 Diesel, but Chrysler Says Ram 1500 Diesel Makes Sense

Ford officials say there's no business case for a diesel F-150, while Chrysler executives say the Ram 1500 diesel makes perfect sense.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• ne_blackshirtsne_blackshirts Member Posts: 56
    Nissan will hopefully dominate the market for buyers looking for great MPGs with the Cummins diesel. I've never heard a lot of raves over the diesel in the jeeps so I found it odd that Ram with this setup for the 1500 Ram. But Cummins is a proven leader in building tough diesels and from what I've seen Nissan and Cummins have been working on this for a long time now should be a great addition to the truck market.
  • hotrodwhotrodw Member Posts: 0
    The math changes when resale values are considered. More importantly, Ford is making the assumption that operating costs are the only reason people buy diesels. A flawed argument, and a mistake on Ford's part.
  • wdrauchwdrauch Member Posts: 22
    ne_blackshirts, the diesel Jeeps are not out, yet, so there is no feedback to be heard. If you're talking about the previous model GC with a diesel, that was a different engine than this upcoming one.
  • ne_blackshirtsne_blackshirts Member Posts: 56
    wdrauch, either way it's still not a Cummins built diesel. Mopar has been making diesel jeeps for years now in other Jeep models and there not that great. My point is I find it weird that Cummins chose to work with Nissan over Ram for developing a Diesel in that part of the truck market. Nissan and Cummins have been at the drawing board for a long time working with this and I think it's going to be great when or if it ever comes to production.
  • dslonrdslonr Member Posts: 1
    My thinking is that having the failed 6.0 and short-lived 6.4, Ford will have to be pushed into the light truck diesel arena in order to compete. But this could be a few years out, since Ford is having strong sales of their Ecoboost. At over 400# of torque and 365 hp it has appeal. Still, it's a small gas engine, and I have to reserve judgment on it until there are millions of miles with it can pulling its rated loads.

But as a diesel owner going back to the pathetic '80 GM LF9, with those exceptions (I went through two in 98k miles) mine have all had long, trouble-free lives. Certainly worth the price if you put a lot of miles on them. Ford may have no choice but to soon drop one in its 150 to maintain its dominate position in the market.