Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2014 Volkswagen Passat TSI Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Volkswagen

image2014 Volkswagen Passat TSI Long-Term Road Test

Checking in on the fuel economy of our 2014 Volkswagen Passat with its 1.8-liter four-cylinder.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    I'm a little dissapointed in that best fill. That's pretty much the same mileage i got from the 1.8T/tiptronic combo in my '04 Jetta. I know the Passat is a bigger car, but it's also got an extra gear and 8 years of improved tech.
  • Options
    reminderreminder Member Posts: 383
    I have just under 1000 miles on my TSI. Love the motor & auto transmission. Way too cold to be taking mpg seriously. -10 is possible this evening. Low 30's mpg is very reachable, just have to get some temps warmer than the teens.
  • Options
    vvkvvk Member Posts: 196
    Crazy. I don't think I have ever gotten less than 26 mpg with my 5-cylinder 5-speed 2012 Passat. Summer highway mileage is 36-38 mpg, winter -- 33-34 mpg.

This result is much worse than I would expect. I thought the new engine is supposed to be MORE fuel efficient?!
  • Options
    djd352djd352 Member Posts: 31
    @vvk I have found MPG is highly dependent on regional location. Every region in the US uses a different fuel blend based on air pollution, altitude, and weather. I currently drive a 2013 Hyundai Accent A/T. We are based in Colorado Springs and work in Den
  • Options
    emajoremajor Member Posts: 332
    Eh, too much jumping to conclusions that are unfounded. We don't even know what kind of driving is behind these TSI figures. I'm hoping Edmunds will do a true fuel economy comparison between the TSI and TDI, driven along the same route at the same time, etc. I'm also hoping that at some point we will get some actual driving impressions about this car. You've had it for a month and all you've posted about is the backup camera and that the car is capable of heating up in 40 weather.
  • Options
    626gt626gt Member Posts: 15
    Do you track how much those fill ups cost, it would be great to see these "fuel economy updates" @ dollars per mile which is the true test of such a comparison. I realize CA prices are different from other parts of the country but it's still the best measure esp where the diesel does better than EPA estimate on highway and I expect the gas to rarely if ever do that. Thanks
  • Options
    darthbimmerdarthbimmer Member Posts: 606
    Looks like the 1.8T is underperforming its EPA numbers. The 2.0T my wife and I had in our '06 Jetta did the same. But at least the Diesel is posting numbers in line with or slightly better than its sticker.
  • Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    Looks to me like it's got 2300 miles on it and has not been taken on any highway trips. I guess if you think 27.6 mpg (current best) is the best it's ever going to do...but I don't think so.