Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2012 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Roadster Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Mercedes-Benz

image2012 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Roadster Long-Term Road Test

The 2012 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Roadster's smooth power and speedometer make 40 mph feel and look like 20 mph.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    seppoboyseppoboy Member Posts: 93
    The high upper speeds included on the speedometers kind of make some sense for a limited production halo car like the SLS AMG, but take a look at that Porsche speedometer. Not much space available to cram in all those numbers, so it is hard to read, unlike the tachometer. Of course, I could never own a Porsche anyway, their comparative advantage is only evident - boy, is it evident -, when driven hard, fast, and smoothly. Unfortunately, I don't qualify for diplomatic immunity, so the old license would not last long.
    It's a pet peeve though that so many ordinary cars have 160mph or higher speedometers, which means almost all driving happens in a very narrow arc of the indicator. That ATS spreads them out pretty nicely, though.
  • Options
    stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    This speedometer nonsense is getting out of hand. The SLS isn't going to get close to 240, but cramming those useless numbers in there completely destroys the usefulness of the entire gauge.
  • Options
    bryan__tbryan__t Member Posts: 23
    Seppoboy, the 911 analog speedo is completely ridiculous, which is why no one ever looks at it. The digital speedo in the tach is completely usable and legible, though.
  • Options
    tatermctatumstatermctatums Member Posts: 107
    This is why I like staggered speedometers like in the C5 Z06. The first 100 mph take up most of the arc and then the last 100 fits in the last third of the arc. My 2010 Jetta TDI has one as well though it is spaced differently. Here is the link to a picture for example.

http://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/corvette/2002/long-term-road-test/2002-chevrolet-corvette-z06-oh-my-this-is-embarrassing.html
  • Options
    jederinojederino Member Posts: 0
    @tater, the staggered scale is an interesting solution. The SLS speedo is just about the least useful I have ever seen. And, let's be real - this speedo is about making a showroom impression and completing the sale.