Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford V10

jrs400fjrs400f Member Posts: 9
edited March 2014 in Ford
What are the pro's and con's of the Ford V10? Does it have enough towing power (enclosed trailers, bobcats...)?

Comments

• modvptnlmodvptnl Member Posts: 1,352
    I have an '01 crew cab auto with 4.30's.

They have the exact same ratings as the PSD as far as towing. In'99 TRAILER LIFE did a test with equal trailers(7500 lbs?) up a grade and it was a dead heat.(the V10 has since added 35 Hp and 15#'s of torque for a total of 310/425) I would give the diesel the nod with higher loads but the V10 would do it, albeit slower.

In a POPULAR MECHANICS test it out performed the GM 8.1 empty and loaded.

In a recent TRUCK TREND test the Ford V10 out performed the V10 from dodge while empty and loaded. The GM 8.1 did out muscle the Ford up a grade while towing in the TT test but the Ford won while empty.

I don't think I'm towing much more than 5500 pounds but it doesn't affect the truck at all, even in 120 degree heat with regular gas.

Fuel economy is around 11 overall with a high of 14 during a SLOW 75 MPH cruise.

I don't like the exhaust sound for about 500RPM's around 2400-2900. It may be a known "flutter" problem that I've seen on some boards. I haven't bothered the dealer yet about it.

I'm very happy with mine and I recommend the V10.
  • fordtuffordtuf Member Posts: 101
    First the little thing. I had the flutter like MOD talked about. It took the dealer three times and they found it (on mine anyway). They put a standard hose clamp on the heat shield that is tack welded to the y-pipe.

I have 99, 4x4, 3.73 and tow 7700lbs all over, through mountains and to the beaches. Mounteagle, Tennessee is the biggest mountain, I think the grade is at 5% for about a 3 to 4 mile climb. I held at 55mph while in second. It was the biggest challenge. Thats great to me cause my F150, 5.8L would only pull it at about 45mph with engine screaming.

Towed 10,200 lbs, 34' travel trailer several times for mor than 500 miles each. Pulled great at 75mph in third, really did not notice much difference than my own 27'.

KO
  • fordbluefordblue Member Posts: 13
    I own a '01 SD CC 4x4 V10 4:30 Auto, it sure has been a good truck. I Pull a 27ft TT. Living in AZ I have had the opportunity to pull plenty of Mtn passes this last year. The V10 has awsome torque. Even down in the lower Powerband you can feel the pulling power, especially 2000 - 3300 rpm. Liter for Liter it has more HP and Torque than the 8.1. Not to mention it gets resonable gas milage for being a 6.8 Liter. I've owned it since Nov 00' , now have 15k miles. No Problems so far, knock on wood. Anyway, That's my $.02
  • vwracervwracer Member Posts: 90
    good engines, but you better watch the fuel gauge. some people are reporting 8 mpg pulling a big trailer. I'd consider a diesel first I feel resale will be higher. Friend with diesel F250 says he gets 18-20 mpg
    Man, things go around in circles on these boards!!

No kidding diesels have higher resale values.....THEY COST $4000 MORE TO BEGIN WITH!!!!

At NO TIME after you drive off the lot will you get that money back. A portion, yes. $4000, no.

As far as fuel economy goes it's been said it will take anywhere from 100,000-200,000 miles to recoup the initial cost of a diesel. Factor in a V10 will run on regular(which right now is .20 a gallon cheaper than diesel) uses less than half the oil during an oil change, has less filters to change(not to mention cheaper filters) to buy a diesel for a perceived economy benefit is not very bright.

Now, if you're towing 10,000 pounds plus, if you're towing in high altitude regions and if you do run very high miles yearly, the diesel will earn its keep. That's if you can stand the drone, the smell, and the sluggish unloaded performance.
    One point to consider Ford v10 has 3 yr/36000 mile warrenty while powerstroke diesel has 5 yr/ 100,000 mile warrenty
  • pipesmokerpipesmoker Member Posts: 23
    I purchased in Sept. 2001 a 2002 SD 4x4 3.73 gear auto tranny with V-10 with Lariet package. Thus far I am loving this V-10. Chose V-10 for more power, re-sale value and tow capability over diesel beacuse of $$ and to avoid smell, mess and noise associated with diesel. In city I am averaging 12-13 mpg and on the road I am averaging 14-15 mpg. This is regular pick-up driving/cruising - no trailer. Heck, I don't even own a travel trailer.

All my friends have given me pure "heck" over my purchase of a Super Duty. You see, I'm just a white collar business man working an office management type job. I am constantly asked...why?

I chose the SD over the 2500HD and Tundra because I like the style and looks of the SD and because I wanted plenty of room, plenty of power and I wanted a big truck. Yes, the SD has proved cumbersome in some regular driving situations around town, but overall I am liking the SD. For me, I think the chose of V-10 over diesel made more $$$ and cents!!!

Pipesmoker - Dothan, Alabama
    Warranty is a good consideration. The 100,000 mile diesel warranty is only on the motor. I can see the benefit if an injector pump or glow plugs go out(stuff you don't have to worry about on a gasser) but we all agree the rest of the internals of a diesel are very stout and the warranty is a propaganda, selling feature to alleviate the worries about the above mentioned parts, which have failed in the past on the 6.9/7.3 diesels.
  • jej673jej673 Member Posts: 3
    like pipesmoker, I do not tow anything, but haul stuff every now and then. bought truck for room to carry around kids, and versatility for hauling as opposed to suburban-type vehicle, and because grew up driving a pickup. In northern New Mexico, I have averaged 13.5 mpg in mixed driving; better on highway (as good as 15). Have about 41,000 on '00 crew cab. Also figured that diesel would not pay off in fuel efficiency until after about 100k miles, and probably more factoring in oil changes. V10 has been great; trading it in and getting another to be delievered in about 2 weeks.
  • bobsquatchbobsquatch Member Posts: 136
    Not flaming you or anything but almost all gassers have injector pumps running their fuel injectors and no powerstroke diesel has one. Also glow plugs are wear items intended to be replaced as needed. They cost about $8ea. and are as easy to replace as a spark plug and last just as long. Lastly the 100k mile warranty is for the entire powertrain, not just the engine. Buying a diesel is a personal preference to most. Just like four wheel drive, most of the people that have it don't need it and rarely use it. But for those of us truly in the need they can't be beat. Most people don't need a V10 either, they just want one. The big reason to get a diesel is longevity under a load. You can drive with your foot to the floor all the time when you pull heavy loads and it is not hard on the engine at all. They actually run best that way. Do the same with a gasser and it will wear out much much faster. If you frequently pull a heavy load go diesel, if not a gasser might make more sense. For 90% of us it is just a personal preference why we get one over the other.
    There are no "injector pumps" on a gasser. It's simply a high pressure fuel pump located in the fuel tank. They are $100 and are a 5 minute change out once the tank is dropped.(which can be a PITA if you have a lot of fuel in there)

I'm willing to learn what the diesel uses. I was always under the impression it was called an injector pump and was run off the engine oil(part of the reason for 12+ quart oil change) It was also one of the achilles heals of the GM diesels. (off topic I realize)

I apologize on my glow plug comment. I meant to say injectors which I've been told are $400 a pop X 8(I realize they don't go out all at once) 19 pound or 24 pound injectors for gassers are available as take offs at any Mustang site over the net for $100 for a complete set.

Your load comment is what I've agreed to from the begining.

I've also always said it's a personal thing. Both my jobs require driving PSD's both in vans and Super Duties. I drive a V10 for personal use. I could never stand a PSD as a personal vehicle.

I will research the warranty but from memory it does NOT cover the transmission past 36,000 miles. Only the diesel motor.
    "Navistar International's Hydraulically Actuated Electronically Controlled' Unit Injection (HEUI) uses hydraulic pressure and a multiplier piston to generate high fuel pressure. In addition to the normal lube oil pump, a second high-pressure oil pump is mounted on top of the block up-front, driven by the gear train. It supplies oil pressure to a galley in each cylinder head, and the galleys are connected like a fuel rail in gasoline engines. A Rail Pressure Control Valve (RPCV) acts like an electronically controlled pressure regulator to vary oil pressure in the galley between 450 and 3000 psi, the normal working range for many hydraulic systems. This pressure is available to each unit injector, but only admitted into the working chamber when the solenoid on top of the unit is activated. The opening of the solenoid-operated poppet valve determines timing and duration, and the RPCV controls rate of injection by varying the oil pressure against the intensifier piston. With these nine valves (8 injectors, 1 RPCV), all phases of a Diesel injection cycle can be electronically controlled by the ECM, in some ways more precisely than in a gasoline system."

This is why I've been lead to believe that oil changes are even MORE important on a PSD than a gasser.

Still looking for warranty info!!!
    Wow, you sure did your homework on that one and fast. Since the introduction of the Powerstroke/turbo diesels, there has not been an injector pump. Navistar has used a fuel injection system designed by Caterpillar which uses high pressure engine oil to control the injectors so you are absolutely right about the importance of keeping the oil clean. I can not argue with you about the gasoline injection system as I am not 100% certain about how the injectors are controlled but I am pretty certain it is not just a high pressure pump. Maybe you could explain it Mod or anyone else who knows for certain. As far as injectors are concerned, $400ea. is probably a dealer price and you can get a better deal/injector from the aftermarket. I recently sold my 1989 7.3 diesel van which is the old style with an injector pump. It had 165000 miles on it and never had an injector pump or injector failure. In fact it still ran like new and did not need to add oil between 3000 mile services. To get back on topic though I have a friend who dives a regular Ford cargo van for work. He gets a new one every three years or 100000 miles he has had both engines and prefers the V10 for his application but drives a diesel for his personal use.
    Personal choice again!!

The gasser system couldn't be more simple. The in tank fuel pump supplies fuel at about 90LPM at aprox 40 psi. The fuel rails are always pressurized and the injector is simply cycled by the ECM/EEC using the parameters gathered from TPS, mass air flow(or in older systems, speed density) MAP, Temp sensors, O2 sensors and a few others I can't think of right now.

When adding performance parts you simply either up the in tank pump to 155LPM, 190LPM or even 225LPM or you can remove the in tank pump and run a tank pick up and in line pump for extreme fuel needs. Generally a mass air system can adjust up to some impressive HP numbers(well in to the 300's on 302's and close to 400 on the 4.6 DOHC motors) After these numbers you should have your car dyno tuned with custom chips and adjustable fuel pressure regulators.

Back to personal choice. I realize that the drone of a diesel is music to some. I guess sometimes being in them all day makes me tired of 'em. My wife actually got car sick on a test drive of a PSD!!! The throttle response is another thing that truly bothers me. When punching a stock PSD it feels like mush. The V10 revs so much quicker....again a personal observation. Some people love the racket, it's annoying as he!! to me. And the smell is perfume to some but gets on my nerves!!!

Going back to the beginning of these diesel vs. gasser wars I've always encouraged people to take looong test drives to decide which one is right for them. But I will always debate the perceived economy argument. It's just not there.
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    I love my Duramax. Phenominal highway rush is one of the best features. Range is another. I can't remember the last time I filled up. I've gone 715 miles unrefueled. Saving time at the pump counts. To have a big truck, with power and mileage like this, is the way it ought to be. I think PSD and Cummins owners feel the same way. An interesting poll would be how many prefer going back to gassers due to the drawbacks of diesel. I bet not many.
    I do want to drive your duramax......I heard it's the closest diesel to a gasser yet. LOL!!!
    Diesel fuel today in Oklahoma is 3cents a gallon more than 87 gas
    I will never own another gas powered truck.
  • ecc1ecc1 Member Posts: 11
    I have a 2001 F250 Super-duty 4x4 crew cab 3.73 rear. Around town I get a little over 12mpg. 100% interstate at 70, I get 15. Towing 10,000 trailer I get around 8 to 9 on 2 lane roads. I test drove a diesel and was not impressed. I really WANTED a diesel but it didn't get much better mileage and it was just too loud. I heard great things about the duramax, drove one and I couldn't tell much difference between it and the Ford, still too loud. $4000 will buy a lot of gas and I don't have to worry about finding a place that sells diesel.
    Actually, with the long range of a diesel, you don't have to worry about finding a place that sells GAS.
  • lariat1lariat1 Member Posts: 461
    The extended range of a diesel is one of the main selling points up here in Alaska. Being able to go 400 miles while towing between fillups means avoiding the $1.90 and up gas prices in between cities. I used to make a lot of trips to Canada from Fairbanks and the trip was 500 miles one way, with my old 24v Cummins I could make the trip one way without a fillup and average 70mph. That meant I avoided paying $50-$60 a trip on fuel (or gas). The reason I sold the Cummins was because I didnt make the trip as often and the 24v Cummins does not like to get warm when it is -40F.
    until you try to tell the wife you aint stopping for 10 hours. Heck, I can't even make it from Vegas to L.A. without the wife NEEDING to stop twice.
    Possibly because the drinks are free in Vegas?
    Yea, they have drive through windows now for the complimentary cocktails!!!!
  • bmaigebmaige Member Posts: 140
    I asked one of our local farmers who owns Dodges if he uses diesel or gas engines. He says he has a diesel he likes as a farm truck, but also has a V-10. He said when towing a load and merging with traffic the V-10 will get it up to highway speed quicker than the diesel will, but once up and going they are about the same in his opinion.

Any others who have both to compare under the same usage?
  • hdriderhdrider Member Posts: 49
    "Old" thread, but to echo bmaige's comments about the farmer, I do the same thing. I kept my 6.5L TD (not the best TD but has never left me stranded) for a work truck and bought the 8.1L as a daily driver (off the V10 thread, but similar concept). I do prefer the TD over gas, and always have, but the extra $$$ didn't justify buying another TD at this point. I also seem to live in cities where the price of diesel is .05 - .15 more per gallon than regular gas. Once I retire, though, I'll probably get another TD for work and an old "beater" gas for running around town in. Best of both worlds is to own one of each!
  • mrb11mrb11 Member Posts: 58
    The Ford V-10 did NOT out perform the GM 8.1 both loaded and unloaded in the Popular Mechanics test. In fact It was the GM that our performed the Ford in the most important catagory which is passing from 40-70 mph loaded and unloaded. Here are the actual results.

Accel. w/o trailer
    0-30 mph/0-60 mph....GM 3.75/11.04 Ford 3.95/12.00

Accel. w/o trailer
    in the 1/4 mile.....GM 19.46 Ford 19.11

Passing w/o trailer
    40-70mph.....GM 9.13 Ford 12.21

Accel. w/trailer
    0-30 mph/0-60 mph.....GM 8.63/24.31 Ford 6.85/22.09

Accel. w/trailer
    in the 1/4 mile.....GM 24.41 Ford 22.99

Passing w/trailer
    40-70mph.....GM 19.59 Ford 21.41
    I already commented on this. Yes it's important, is it any more important than 0-30 , 0-60 or 1/4 mile loaded times that the Ford won???

I would think merging with a load is something you HAVE to do. Passing with a load is optional and can be planned. I also commented that I believe the Allison was probably better at selecting the correct gear while passing.

You can skew the results to your favor all you want, the bottom line is the 8.1 never "blew the doors" off the V10 and you really want the GM(which is a fine choice). The fact that current GM owners are advising you to buy the Ford is not swaying you. Go for the 8.1....and good luck.
    modvptnl,

Yes I know you already commented on this. I just thought jrs400f would appreciate the real facts per the Popular Mechanics article versus what you posted. And yes.....passing performance loaded or not is far more important than 0-30, 0-60 or top speed at the end of a 1/4 mile. Do you drag race with a 10,000 lb load? When I said the 8.1 blew the doors off the V-10 it did. It was over a second faster from 0-60 (Per Popular Mechanics). I've decided to hang on to my 454. It's not as quick as the 8.1 but it sure feels quicker than the Ford. Hopefully the day will come when Toyota has their heavy duty 3/4 ton big block and neither of us will want a Ford or Chevy.
    I can say it's just as important to get to 60 pulling a load to merge with traffic as you can say it's more important to pass. Do you typically pass with a 10k load on a 2 lane highway???

WOW!!! 1 full second in one test.....where in another the Ford was quicker to 60(TRUCK TREND)

From the begining you've transparently been pro GM and there's nothing wrong with that. Just quit kidding yourself.

Your "blow the doors off" was and always will be comical.

I apologize for the miss-communication of post #2. It's obvious the Ford won some empty as it did with a load. I never said it swept all categories.

On your own test drive you were empty. If you only took it 60 per PM you were a second quicker and per TT you were a few tenths slower with the 8.1. Both tests had the V10 winning the 1/4 mile. You sir, must have a calibrated [non-permissible content removed] if you call either times "blowing the doors off."

Yes I would look at a toy if they made a comparable truck. BTW, I own a Lexus and it's not the car to end all cars. I'm not brainwashed by the toy is superior BS.
    I'm not pro GM. It's just everytime I give the Ford another look, I leave the dealership disappointed. I'll hang on to my 454 and wait for that 3/4 ton big block Toyota.
    Anyway.........I think we've beat this powertrain thing to death. Thanks for the conversation.

Now........You own a Lexus (Toyota)???? You own a Lexus?? I'm suprised you let that slip out. I know .....Lincoln, Lexus, Lincoln, Lexus they sound the same and before you realized your blunder you were driving off the lot in the most reliable upscale vehicle on the road.
    It also has an annoying thunk EVERY time its ABS self tests, or whatever excuse the dealer gave me.

I like the car, just not brainwashed that it's soooo wonderfully above anything else I've owned. I tried like heck to get the wife to get the Lincoln LS. She fell in love with the Lexus...Oh well, no O% financing.

Truth be told, the only "lemon" I've ever had was a 454/turbo 400 GMC pick up.

I will look at a lot of different makes when shopping for a vehicle. But I will not pay more for some mythical reliability advantage.
    You have to give credit where credit is due. I still have a pavlovian response when I hear the word Toyota. This is caused by the bullet proof trucks they made in the 70's-80's. I do not know now if the reliability/longevity is even close to what it was but you have to admit they made a name for themselves and most people still think quality when they think Toyota. From what I am hearing almost all of the manufacturers make a quality product now but Toyota is still riding its old image. Let us not forget Datsun(Nissan) made one hell of a truck back then too and they are less expensive now. I am not trying to take anything away from Toyota, I am sure they are still a fine vehicle. They are just so danged expensive.
    I will have a problem with Toyota if they ever make a full size big block or diesel because I do not think they should be allowed to sell anything here that they can't sell in Japan.
  • jcmdiejcmdie Member Posts: 594
    Why would you have a problem with them making a products exclusively for our market. VW continued to sell the beetle in many countries after they no longer met government regulations here. I believe the Ramcharger is still sold in Mexico and can't be sold here. It's a practice that is not uncommon.
    I am just whinning. I only buy American made products and have an aversion to countries selling us crap they would never have in their own country. My pickup is bigger than most delivery trucks in Japan so you will never see a use for full size pickups in Japan, there is no room. BTW, Volkswagon can sell their bugs anywhere they want they aren't from here and the Dodge Ramcharger originated and was sold right here in the good ole USA but was discontinued The Mexico Rams do not meet U.S. specs and are now made in Mexico for Mexico not here.
    See, I don't think that way. My very first car was a '71 corrolla(sp?) that I rebuilt when I was 16. It had barely over a 100K on it. The motor used a '69 oil pump that took me 3 different tries to get right. ('71,'70 and finally '69) Even after the rebuild I always carried a set of points(remember those?) because they always fried(yes, I changed the condenser also)

Believe it or not I MADE my sister get a toy pick up when she turned 16. This was in '84. It was reliable enough but no frills. This is where I believe the rep comes from. There was nothing to go wrong. The thing even had hook latches for the tailgate. When she wrecked it(as I thought she would) we got her a Ranger. Again no frills but the heft of the vehicle was like night and day. Sheet metal, door hinges etc.. were so much thicker on the Ford. She actually liked the toy better because it felt so much lighter.

Crazy years in AF I bought a '83 V6 Ranger 4X4. Of course my best friend had the 4WD toy and the fight was on!!! He never could keep up and bent axle housings trying. I did tear up some sheetmetal behind the front bumper because the 31" Bridgestones would hit off jumps!!!

I don't knock toys(sometimes tongue in cheek when the fanatics say some outrageous BS) but I don't think they're all that. They're just cars.

Right before the Ranger I had a '79 Nissan King cab, blown head gasket and auto trans problems. It wasn't all that impressive.
    Yeah, but I was only talking trucks so the corolla dont count. Also, one of the references I had in mind predated the ranger... The compact ranger anyway. Ranger once was a trim level on the F-series truck. What I was getting at is the old hook gate toy was 10X the truck the old courrier was. The ford was as you said more solid but it could not get out of its own way and was prone to mechanical problems. The nissan dont count either. Datsun only... You know pre 1976. I am glad to see the other manufacturers have stepped up to the plate and made better vehicles and I do think toys are overly pricy but I see why brand loyal people keep coming back to them. They started the trend toward ultra reliability that we take for granted today.
  • jrs400fjrs400f Member Posts: 9
    I have heared that the V10 likes to shift a lot when towing up hills. Is this true?
    I don't leave it in OD or even D if pulling a steep grade. If I'm pulling a steep enough hill(Baker grade for instance) I'll let it tach to 3-4K even in 2nd. I'll double check but that allows 60-65 up any grade, keeps it from hunting and I'm close enough to the powerband (3200RPM max torque) where I'm not worried.
  • jrs400fjrs400f Member Posts: 9
    How heavy is the trailer you are towing?
    I'm FOS!!! 4,000 RPM is about 55. I have 4.30's.

I pull about 5500 pounds in the summer heat. My point about leaving it in 2nd is I believe it'll easily pull max loads in 2nd at about 55 without the tranny hunting . The only time I've had to do this is the grade between LA and Vegas (Baker) and after Hoover Dam before Temple Bar. All lesser hills it seems to hold 3rd or OD fine.
    I sometimes wished the tranny had a lock button so I could let the engine "lug" and not have to shift so much. I got used to it shifting because I usually left it in OD. I figured I would get better mileage.

Then I started locking OD out. To my surprise I get the same mpg either way. Most people have said its better to let it run higher rpm's, as Mod does, and let it pull in the power band. Once you do it that way you realize that the truck works better.

I tow 27' T.T. @ 7900lbs. Usually at 70-75 mph in the southeast USA including Smokey Mtns. In flat land, Illinois and Missouri I'll do 80 when I'm in a hurry. Then I will leave it in overdive and it pulls and drives just like normal.
  • akreinakrein Member Posts: 3
    I'm looking at a 2000 F250SD with the 6.8L V-10. Where can I find some technical specs for that year? I've read conflicting information on when Ford upgraded the V-10 from 275hp to 310hp. I'd also like to see hp and torque curves. The truck in question has 50,000 miles on it. Anything I should specifically look out for with that kind of mileage?

Thanks
  • jimvetajimveta Member Posts: 96
    http://www.ford-trucks.com/specs/index.html
    - at the bottom of the page under the "2000 Year
    heading, there's the Super Duty spec link.

And I'm positive 2000 is the year they upgraded because I
    had a 99 and remember thinking to myself how I should've
    waited when I found out.
    I got the 99 because I had to have it. Ford dealer also said it was planned to get the HP from 275 to 290 and torque from 400 to 410.

Never believe it unless you SEE it. Oh well I HAD to have. Anyway I just got a new 02 2 weeks ago, problem solved.

As for power curves pick up the latest info on todays V10, it has not changed since 2000.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    The new Ford Truck Owners club is now available on Edmunds.com Owners Club board. Please stop by and introduce yourself in Meet the Members and let me know how I can help build your club.

I have linked this discussion into that folder, but it will always reside here in Pickups.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

KarenS
    Host
    Owners Clubs
  • badbluebadblue Member Posts: 4
    This is my first post as I'm new kid on the block(KID-LOL 64 and climbing)Just purchased my first V-10 SD and love it. Opted for gas cause don't use it much. Thought I would pass on some info. Got 930 miles and have installed Banks Powerpack,Performance Products Superchip and AirForce 1 air filter kit. Power increase is fantastic. Speedo doesn't stop climbing, only thing is when it hits century mark, returns to 0, but when it slows, returns to normal. Wife using it for work now to put miles on it, running around 12 MPG, city use. Has anyone else done any similar mods and how are they working out? Going to see next weekend how it does on my fiver,10,000#Alumascape. Enjoy reading the posts and now glad to be a part.
    T.K.
  • wpalkowskiwpalkowski Member Posts: 493
    Sounds like you've got an awesome truck. Curious did get the 3.73 or 4.30 rear end? 4x2 or 4x4? My stock '01 F-350, V10 gets 10-12 in city.
    Word of caution on top end speed. Your E-rated tires aren't made for going that fast. Also I've heard the reason that Ford sets normal speed limiter to 95 mph is because heavy duty drivetrain components aren't well enough balanced to sustain that kind of speed. I read on Ford-Diesel.com that driveshafts don' t like rotating that fast. One of their tranny gurus said universal joints could "grenade" when spinning faster than intended.
    I got mine up over 90 on an open stretch of highway early one morning with no traffic and frankly, truck was bit scary - front end felt "light" (relatively speaking) and steering was very twitchy. I can say I did it, and most likely will never do it again. A crew cab long bed, 4x4 at that speed felt like a transport plane lumbering down runway at takeoff.
  • badbluebadblue Member Posts: 4
    Thanks Walter for the advice as I didn't know about the drivetrain limitations. Like you, probably won't do it again either, mostly did the upgrades for power, torque,milage and to suprise some of the locals when they pull up to a red light with their go-fast trucks / cars. To answer your questions, I'm running a 3:73 LS with a crew cab SB 4x2. According to claims I should be around the same ft. #'s of torque as the PS and around 410 flywheel HP. I plan on putting it on a dyno after 2 or 3 thousand miles. Again thanks for the Welcome and the advice.
    T.K.
This discussion has been closed.