Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are you shopping for a new car and having a hard time finding what you want or did you recently buy a car but had to settle for something different than what you originally wanted? A reporter wants to speak with you; please reach out to [email protected] by 10/22 for more info.

Run-Flat Tires Disappoint, Study Finds

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Posts: 10,125
edited September 2014 in General

imageRun-Flat Tires Disappoint, Study Finds

Run-flat tires, which cut vehicle weight and are sometimes billed as a safety enhancement, are proving to be a disappointment to consumers.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• So how much gas does the spare tire require? I know think that the added gas mileage is not measurable, it's more a pr claim.
  • Joe_scuba - What is easily measurable how much room a spare tire/wheel eats into trunk space. To compensate for that space, you have to make the trunk bigger, which of course adds weight (in addition to the tire/wheel itself).
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 21,510
    Let's hope someone @ BMW-NA reads this study. They ought to at least give buyers a choice to specify run flat or regular tires.

The article does not mention that RFTs are pretty expensive to replace, around $200 each IIRC.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• ks55ks55 Posts: 8
    Had them on my 2002 and 2011 Mini Cooper S....and hated every mile...until I got fed up and replaced them........WHAT A DIFFERENCE. Cannot understand BMW/Mini fascination with these heavy thumpers but seems a can of special tire seal goop in the trunk would make the BMW accountants and the public much happier.

Lose the Runflats BMW ...they suck
  • quadricyclequadricycle Posts: 827
    "Run-Flat Tires Disappoint, Study Finds". Ha! More like Run-Flat Tires have been disappointing for a good while, I've found. Also, in breaking news, the Earth's gravity keeps you from flying off into space. Run-Flats were a good concept that just didn't work out, not to mention they also make the ride rougher, and we should have moved on a long time ago. If anyone is still undecided, go read about Run-Flats in a BMW Forum...
  • stovt001_stovt001_ Posts: 799
    Was there a minimum word count requirement for submitting this article? Because a number of lines were just repeated multiple times. ("Run flat tires did not live up to expectations" was a particularly egregious example).