Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Tesla

image2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Road Test

My wife and I recently took our 2013 Tesla Model S on a 750-mile trip to Monterey, California using Tesla Superchargers

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    noburgersnoburgers Member Posts: 500
    That was a really good post. And the best part is you really did not have to go out of your way to make that happen. And , "for free"!
  • Options
    evodadevodad Member Posts: 135
    I love the way the tesla looks in white
  • Options
    zimtheinvaderzimtheinvader Member Posts: 580
    how many chargers does the hotel have and what happens if they are all in use when you get there? --- It definitely takes a certain attitude where you enjoy the game of how far you can go and where the chargers are to take this car on a long trip. -- It might be fun on the one hand but on the other we often end up not ending up where we planned on trips. This would limit how much we could improvise.
  • Options
    stoneymonsterstoneymonster Member Posts: 28
    The trip computer would have given you the consumption data had you reset A or B counter before starting the trip.
  • Options
    stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    I wish I made enough to buy a Tesla (correction: I wish I worked for Edmunds and could borrow the Tesla). One small nit to pick: there is no such thing as a fast lane, just a passing lane, and it should not be cruised in.
  • Options
    mayhemmmayhemm Member Posts: 6
    @zimtheinvader: I imagine this will become more of a concern once EVs are more mainstream, but right now a single charger is typically enough at most locations. However, some hotels will "reserve" you the charging spot if you call ahead by pla
  • Options
    jvonbokeljvonbokel Member Posts: 14
    Great post! One small correction about this line: "the most the Tesla could regenerate on the downslope was 300 Watt-hours per mile (0.3 kWh)"

Just like the graph tops out at 900 Wh/mi, it bottoms out at -300 Wh/mi, but it can generate more than that. The motor can generate as much as 60-70kW, but you may have been limited to 30kW if you had the regenerative braking set to "Low" instead of "Standard".

Note that there is not necessarily a direct correlation between a live reading of kW used/generated (based on a fraction of a second) and a measurement of Wh/mi.