Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Chevrolet

image2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.com conducts a long-term test of a 2014 Chevrolet Corvette and discovers a judder when turning a tight corner at low speeds when cold.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    banhughbanhugh Member Posts: 315
    So why doesn't hop/skip when the car is warm?
  • Options
    cobrysoncobryson Member Posts: 110
    @banhugh "When the tire warms up, its carcass is better able to deform, so the skipping goes away."
  • Options
    diigiidiigii Member Posts: 156
    So that means premature tire wear on the inside thread.
  • Options
    nomercy346nomercy346 Member Posts: 69
    cool stuff, never heard of ackerman steering... probably explains the front chatter on tight turns on gravel I noticed on the Suburban. really freaked me out at the time because the first time I noticed that I was doing figure 8s and listening for the faintest noise, anything that could be broken. Why, you ask? Because I accidentally left it in 4hi on pavement, on an mountain pass, no less and I was fearing I did some real damage to the 4wd system :/ Always thought thats instant damage with a part time system but read up a little to discover that it's not too bad if you dont do it too often and most of the wear is on the tires. back on the drivetrain binding topic my old ZJ jeep with quadra trac full-time 4wd squeals on tight turns (parking garage) and you can feel there is some wind up in the drivetrain. Anyone who's driven a more modern full-time system (not on-demand type) can you still feel it's 4wd? I've only driven an x-drive BMW and it felt like RWD in a parking lot.
  • Options
    on the drivetrain bind topic: my old ZJ Jeep with the old school full-time quadra trac 4wd squeals around tight corners (parking garage) and you certainly feel the drivetrain winding up. Do you still feel some bind in a modern full-time setup (not the on demand types)? I've only driven a x-drive BMW and in terms of binding, in a parking lot it felt like a normal RWD car.
  • Options
    sry for the double post, still can't get the hang of this commenting system :/ post didn't show up, then it did, then it was gone again...
  • Options
    agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    nomercy346, the behaviour of the comments section can be pretty squirrely. You press "Post" and nothing appears to happen. The trick then is to refresh the page and your post will go up.
  • Options
    miata52miata52 Member Posts: 114
    Same thing when you sign in here...the sign-in dialog box just shows a bunch of code after you click sign-in and then you can't navigate away from it. Just refresh the page and all is well. This is probably the worse-maintained/run website that I visit in the interwebs.
  • Options
    tatermctatumstatermctatums Member Posts: 107
    The front tires on my C5 Z06 used to do the same exact thing. First I attributed it to the half worn Goodyear Eagles I bought it with. But even with new tires and alignment it did the same thing. I just figured it was normal and continued on with my life. (And yes I did RTFM and there was no mention of it in the 2003 manual)
  • Options
    joefrompajoefrompa Member Posts: 64
    I'm used to this from AWD vehicles and the binding they exhibit in really sharp turning at very low speeds, especially when cold. Heck, my 08 535xit did it just yesterday backing out of the garage and then cranking the wheel hard.

It's probably much more pronounced on very wide, stiff summer tires.
  • Options
    mstingray2017mstingray2017 Member Posts: 1
    The tire hop and chatter is extreme on my new 2017 Stingray Corvette, Dealer says it is normal. It has done it with me at a stop sign turn and when blending into traffic. It feels like a skid which it is as one tire slips. People have jumped out of my way in a parking lot due to the clatter and my inability to turn it quickly when it is "clattering". I consider it a safety hazard. The imperfect Ackermann Geometry causes the tires to not follow the same arc when making a tight turn on the Corvette Stingray and Chevrolet says it is normal. I never had another car do this and I do not consider it normal. I would not have bought my dream car if I had known it would fishtail upon accelerating at turns. The manual says it should not be driven in weather under 40 degrees or in rain, sleet, snow or ice with the tires they give you upon purchase. I doubt anyone would buy a 2017 Stingray Corvette if they felt or heard this tire hop and it does it every time I park the car!
  • Options
    ndavis0028ndavis0028 Member Posts: 1
    The tire hop is embarrassing when you have a passenger. You paid how much for this jerky steering car? The tire hop gets worse as the tires wear according to the local dealership. This customer does not care about the car being a package where normal is not normal. Step out of your 2017 Z06 and listen to the sizzling sound as the AC drips water on the exhaust. What's that noise coming from your Z06? Jerky steering should be an option and the car should not be sizzling when you shut it off. I prefer normal steering movement for slow parking lot turns and steamed vegetables not steamed AC.