Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Tesla

image2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Road Test

We've updated our 2013 Tesla Model S with the latest software. But the air suspension works differently now.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    ohaq13ohaq13 Member Posts: 1
    From Tesla blog http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/mission-tesla

"First, we have rolled out an over-the-air update to the air suspension that will result in greater ground clearance at highway speeds. To be clear, this is about reducing the chances of underbody impact damage, not improving safety. The theoretical probability of a fire injury is already vanishingly small and the actual number to date is zero. Another software update expected in January will give the driver direct control of the air suspension ride height transitions."
  • Options
    gslippygslippy Member Posts: 514
    I've read that the fix for Vampire Drainage isn't very effective. What are Edmunds' observations of vampire losses overnight, and have any software patches improved it?
  • Options
    actualsizeactualsize Member Posts: 451
    Interestingly, I like the elimination of Low mode in one respect, although I would have preferred it be a choice. Why? On some roads I've felt that low mode has the car sitting too close to the bump stops, allowing larger road impacts to make their way through to the cabin. I could never find a low-mode override, and I always wondered if the rough-road ride would improve if only there were a little more suspension travel to soak up the bigger bumps. I guess now we'll have a chance to find out, but until low mode becomes a choice again (if ever) I still won't be able to perform a back-to-back comparison test.

Twitter: @Edmunds_Test

• Options
    actualsizeactualsize Member Posts: 451
    P.S. (if ever) reflects my reluctance to believe the "expected in January" enhancement until I see it.

Twitter: @Edmunds_Test

• Options
    jim_in_nj_jim_in_nj_ Member Posts: 15
    I've heard that the software patch still lowers the suspension at very high speeds (97 mph) is so that drivers on the Autobahn can still benefit from the lowered suspension, and Autobahns don't had as much debris as American highways.
  • Options
    mayhemmmayhemm Member Posts: 6
    The Autobahn thing is just a guess, since Tesla still officially denies the car lowering at ANY speed, despite several users observing this phenomenon.

Although, the UI could be indicating the car lowered without ACTUALLY lowering it. It's hard to take height measurements of a vehicle traveling 100mph.