Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Porsche 911 GT3 First Drive

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Porsche

image2014 Porsche 911 GT3 First Drive

This is the first Porsche 911 GT3 to not offer a manual transmission. Is it brand suicide or a simple progression to better technology? Find out in our First Drive.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    You know I like a manual transmission just as much as the next guy, but when you have a car that gets this close to being a race car, its hard to bemoan Porsche for putting the fastest transmission possible in it. Also, its not like you can't get a manual in other Porsche models, so its not really a limiting factor.
  • bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    You know who will complain about the lack of full manual: auto writers and people that visit sites like this, most of whom couldn't afford a GT3 anyway. A few genuine Porsche buyers will also complain, but Porsche will sell every GT3 it wants to build with absolutely no problem and continue to make one of the highest profit margins in the car business while doing so.
  • strangelovestrangelove Member Posts: 2
    Sales will be fine. The damage will be subtle, but important over time. Though if Ferrari can get away with it, perhaps Porsche feels they can as well.
  • cjasiscjasis Member Posts: 274
    bankerdanny is entirely correct. Porsche will selll every single one of these that they make but there will be a hard core group of Porschephiles who will bemoan the lack of a three pedal manual forever. If you don't agree, look no further than those who continue to pine for aircooled motors in the back of their 911's.

Personally, I think Porsche stumbled here in their choice. They could have easily offered a proper manual and, as Porsche is so good at doing, charged a silly surcharge ($4,000?) for the option to "cover the cost of federalization" and therefore kept the hardcore GT3 guys happy too. I bet, if Porsche's stumble over their dumb [non-permissible content removed] PDK buttons on the 2009 911 is any indication, that there's a strong chance they do just tha.

BTW - I think, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, that the carbon, fixed back buckets pictured here and discussed herein aren't coming to the US... at least not initially. Due, again, to federalization.
  • aston_dbsaston_dbs Member Posts: 19
    Yes, please.
    The moaning + whining of manual gearbox is truly getting old.
    Some people still want to press buttons instead of touch screen on their phones?
    Be my guest, but please let other people enjoy the new technology in peace.
    I truly (and have always) enjoy the superb PDK in the latest Cayman S and 911 4s.
    If this PDK version is EVEN better than those, I am totally sold (again).
    The last GT3 is already brilliant (the RS version is too much for me); I can't wait to test drive this one.
  • joefrompajoefrompa Member Posts: 64
    The few modern automatics I've driven (BMW's 8-speed, for example) are superb. But darnit, I want a 3rd pedal in my racecar. I agree with the above: Porsche should've simply offered their 6 or 7-speed manual trans for a substantial upcharge. The purists would've been sated, the collectors would pay it, and Porsche would break even.

So that all being said: That is a gorgeous GT3 and....6.6 pounds per hp. My goodness, that's gotta make your face wrinkle back when you hammer it in 1st.
  • carmageddoncarmageddon Member Posts: 11
    The shop where I get my 911 serviced here in Silicon Valley specializes in racing, and the bays are typically filled with 997 GT3's. From talking to their owners, I think the only concern any of them will have about the 991 version is whether it's faster than what they've got now. They're all about winning and nothing else. As to the joys of shifting a manual, every one of the GT3 owners I've spoken with owns multiple Porsches; if they want to drive a stick, they've got one. It just may not be their race car.
  • duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649
    This isn't really a complaint (nor is it relevant for at least a few years since I cant' afford a GT3 'new')- but considering how vocal the supporters of manual transmissions are, I'm not quite sure why they don't just offer a revised 7 speed manual. Unlike those pining for air cooled engines, it's not impossible to go to one- It's a fairly minimal investment to begin with (calibration, the few transmission component differences to the PDK, testing.. heck it even fits the same dimensionally) and if it gets 20% more sales, I'm not sure WHY Porsche wouldn't do it. The Boxster/Cayman manuals seem better, in any case.
  • themandarinthemandarin Member Posts: 436
    Like the 3.8L wing. Wouldnt mind seeing the tailpipes too
  • agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    Simply put, the Porsche engineers have determined that human gear shifting is the weak link in extracting maximum performance from their top 911. With ruthless German efficiency they have solved that problem. ;-)
  • robertcrackerrobertcracker Member Posts: 5
    aston_dbs: .7 RS is too much for you? Dedicated track cars and race cars ride harsher, so that's nothing. There are people who DD GT3, so it looks like you are better off with fluffy cars like the DBS in your name.

Great analogy with the phone btw, because that is not comparable at all.
  • jmarounjmaroun Member Posts: 151
    Ok, the GT3 is a race car..makes sense to have dual clutch paddle shifters like Ferrarri.

The 911 Turbo is a FAST Sports Car with GT ammenities..and most people who buy this car are, face it...kinda old. no offense, as I am approaching that category in another decade.

But what about the Alpha Romeo 4C? Why the F does that car not come with a manual, if not as default, at least as an option??? This is supposed to be a driver's car!
    -----------------
    Two possible explainations:
    1.) Auto Industry is CHEAP! they put profit over ideals
    or
    2.) Auto Industry knows better than the consumer what is truely better. I mean that, not in a facetous way. Perhaps the manual is not as fun as the latest dual clutch paddle shifting transmissions and to be honest, I have yet to try one out. I will when the 4C is available.
  • tbone85tbone85 Member Posts: 27
    Edmunds is making this harder than it should be. First they kill InsideLine which took me from being a daily visitor to maybe weekly. Then the site doesn't work for me with the latest public release of FF. Now they are forcing multiple copies of the same post according to what I'm reading on this thread.

I'm sorry to be off topic, but I like the information on this site (although not nearly as much as InsideLine). It just shouldn't require a separate browser or make duplicate posts.
  • agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    @tbone85 I'm using FireFox21 and all is good here. The double tapping is a server problem coupled with the impatience of those posting.
  • 06speed606speed6 Member Posts: 8
    It's the type of GT3 drivers demand now. The Last GT3 was a car you would tow the track or drive there if you like. The new GT3 is a road car you can drive on the track. Trouble for me is, aren't all 911's sports cars you could occaisionally drive on the track? Because each shift is perfect, the way parts are built in the drivetrain have changed dramatically the transmission also cooperates with the stability control and all wheel steering. I like the 1st Series 997 GT3 with the 3.6 motor, PCCB Brakes with its unique rear spoiler. All these iterations add value to each in my opinion. Who knows, the next generation could be a hybrid as new electric drive units make it to the track.
  • stonehammerstonehammer Member Posts: 5
    like most legends, the name outlives the original intentions...

but who am i to say, haven't driven a gt3 since 2004
  • aurun007aurun007 Member Posts: 1
    I am a diehard manual transmission driver. Have owned a Ferrari F355GTB with a manual and I am not complaining that Porsche hasn't offered a manual tranny on the 991 GT3. I purchased a brand new manual trasmission turbo 911 of the 997 variant at the end of 2012. I am happy with my decision because Porsche will no longer offer the manual tranny on the new Turbos, Turbo S's, nor the GT3's.

I guess I got lucky with my decision to not wait for the 991 Turbos to become available even though the new 991's are faster and quicker. I like having to change gears on my own and use my skills I have acquired over the years...