Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

TOYOTA TUNRA

13»

Comments

• 1taxman1taxman Member Posts: 27
    It is nice that this topic is no longer frozen.
  • hall2hall2 Member Posts: 40
    I thought I was in the Tundra. Just having fun.
    Packers Got thawed last Sunday but Moss is the Boss.
  • kevhuntskevhunts Member Posts: 11
    Well after 748 miles my SR5 accesscab 4x4 with TRD has been flawless. That is until today. Unfortunately I have developed a automatic transmission shifting problem. The trans up-shifts to 4th. gear at a low 15mph causing a lugging situation. And when decelerating from 40-50 mph to 0 mph it feels as if the torque converter clutch is disengaging late almost causing the engine to stall. I nursed it to work when the check engine light came on. (trans is controlled by the engine CPU) I have made an appointment with my dealer who I know will identify and fix the problem. Hopefully this will be the only blurb. I have not had any other problems or complaints. The date of production was 9/99. If anyone else has experienced this problem please tell.
    Well the dealer said a solenoid in the transmission was stuck. They reset it and test drove it. I picked it up and on the way home it started again. Same Problem. I called and will have to take it back. I am a little angry with the dealer as this particular problem requires what they call 2 trip detection. The vehicle requires 2 separate road tests to verify the problem is gone. Unfortunately, I gave the second road test. From my knowledge on cars and trucks, the solenoid will have to be replaced. I recall this problem on early 90's chevy and Gmc trucks.
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    Maybe Toyota tryed to save a few bucks by using left over 1990 GM parts on its new Tundra!!! The way you got treated by your dealer it looks like Toyota is starting to follow GM service practices. I sure hope not .. the high standard set by most Toyota service departments helps push the rest to live up to a higher standard.. I would give them one more chance and then try to find another dealer that will fix your problem. I do not know where you live but in Houston I would recommend Jay Marks Toyota. It is a smaller dealer that does what ever it takes to make its customers happy..

One thing that may be obvious, but is still overlooked - Dealerships make lots of $$$ off of warranty work. Next time you are in for service ask how much would this service cost if it was not under warranty - You will be shocked... They can afford to give first class service - the manufacture is paying for it..
    Don't get me wrong , I am not livid with the dealer. They have taken great care of me in the past. When some other vehicle backed into my T100's rear bumper, I took it to the dealer for a price quote for repair. The service writer looked at the bumper and said he would replace it under warranty. I was shocked and delighted. They saved me a $100 insurance deductible!
    Also I understand that this is the first model year and as with anything that is mass produced, there are bound to be some glitches. Toyota's reputation is good cause the keep these glitches to a minimum.
    I disagree that they dealer makes big $$$ on warranty repairs, I was told that if a repair (for example) takes 2.2 hours for non-warranty work, the factory only might pay for 1.5 hours to do the same job. Enough time for a fix but not enough time for a mechanic to double check his work or sometimes do the job right. I believe this is a common practice with all auto makers. Any Mechanics out there have an opinion???
  • blondebearblondebear Member Posts: 2
    I love my '94 T-100, have no problems for 125,000 miles and would LOVE to buy a Tundra if I didn't know I could get another 125,000 trouble free miles out of my T-100. I own 3 other Toyota cars which are all trouble free (with careful maintenance) and only bought the '94 T-100 after my '85 Toyota Pickup body succumbed after 245,000 trouble free miles to the salt and snow here in Northern NJ.

I too hope that the Tuyndra is NOT well received. I loved the $1500 factory rebate when I bought the T-100, and look forward with hope for a $4000(!!!) rebate when I buy the Tundra. I know I can get top dollar for the T-100 in a private sale. Ever try to buy a used Toyota vehicle? Here in NJ, we have foreign buyers out bidding local dealers at used car auctions and shipping every car they can get out of the country. These buyers ignore American made vehicles. Consequently used Toyotas sell for 20% more than comparable American vehicles.
  • blondebearblondebear Member Posts: 2
    I have read all the previous posts. Most prevalent was the fight between Silverado and Toyota owners. The bottom line is this: foreign buyers WILL NOT TOUCH A CHEVY TRUCK. They only bid on Toyota and Nissan to ship out of the country because (mostly) Central and South American buyers do not want the problems associated with GM trucks.

To all the avid off roaders who question the manhood of the Tundra owners: If you really want to get off road, BUY A HUMMER!!! Nothing can compare to it for getting around the woods. You will love the 8 to 10 miles per gallon, the noise, the uncomfortable ride, and the $65K to $90K selling price. You can even mount an M-60 on it to make up for any personal short comings with which you may have been born.

To those who complain about Toyota maintenance costs: I do my own repairs. Timing belts for my T-100 cost $28 and are easy to install. My Camry and Corolla belts cost $15 and are a little more difficult to install. Tune ups (cap, wires, rotor and plugs) cost $65 and take me about one hour to do. I do tune ups and timing belts every 100K miles. After 125K, 180K, 130K, and 115K miles respectively of each of my Toyotas using Mobil 1 oil, valve clearances are still well within tolerances. All Toyotas have automatic trans drain plugs which permit the draining of about one-third of the trans fluid every 10K miles, which I do when I change the engine oil (yes, I only change the engine oil every 10K miles). No Toyota I ever owned used more than 1 quart of oil every 5K miles. Front brake jobs with new pads and NEW ROTORS cost $70. Synthetic gear oil in manual trans and differential cost more initially, but guarantees very little wear and very low gear drag in cold weather. No auto manufacturer's exhaust systems are easier to change than Toyota; cut two bolts with a grinder wheel and slip the new one in on rubber mounts in less than 30 minutes.
  • artpartp Member Posts: 156
    $70 for two brake pads and two ROTORS? Don't you mean rear drums? I find your statement almost impossible to believe. Genuine, new Toyota rotors?
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    It is a real advantage if you can do all of your own maintenance & repairs, but this would be true no matter what brand/type of vehicle you drive. I also do some of the basic stuff but after looking at the repair manual I decided to let the dealer do the timing belt work. I think I could have done it but was not willing to take the chance on screwing up my engine. I did have them save the old belt and after 60,000 miles it still looked good to me....The cost to replace was $360.00 (this was 2 years ago) Automobile magazine states the normal belt replacement on a lexus is $460.00 this includes the other accessory belts. No salesman will ever tell you about this expense - but it seems reasonable to me. -- Looks like you will save about $400 by doing the work yourself when the time comes..
  • wilko521wilko521 Member Posts: 2
    Hi folks-
    I read somewhere that the 2000 model year Tundra comes available with the V-8 engine and a 5-speed manual transmission mated together. I have since had a problem finding this review, but believe it was in an Edmunds publication of some type. Was it an error, or has Toyota brought out a manual transmission to mate to the V-8?
  • artpartp Member Posts: 156
    It's my understanding that the V8 only comes with an auto transmission.
  • frankmorganfrankmorgan Member Posts: 7
    You can get the V-8 in access cab or V-8 4x4 Reg Cab. Both Automatic. In order to get the 5-spd
    you will have to get the 3.4 reg Cab V-6.
  • buzzman2buzzman2 Member Posts: 12
    Please see my trailering comments/questions under 665 Toyota Tundra 2000
    Thanks
  • frankmorganfrankmorgan Member Posts: 7
    Now, when you say "foreign buyers" are you referring to the chevy buyers since a lot of them are being made in Canada, or are you talking about the Tundra that is made in Princeton, Ind. but has a foreign name. "Which is now concidered the foreign Truck"
  • augdog1augdog1 Member Posts: 2
    I was just wondering if hard tonneau covers and
    sheepskin seat covers, bug reflectors and all those goodies would readily available for the TUNDRA after market. Anyone got some info.on this
  • brucec35brucec35 Member Posts: 246
    I currently own a '98 F-150, a '97 Dodge Ram, and owned a '95 Chevy C-1500. I just got a 2000 Tundra, so I'm qualified to compare them.

The Tundra DOES feel just slightly smaller in a few dimensions, but in many ways that is an ASSETT! It's easier to drive, easier to park, brakes better, and "feels" more in control than the "bigger" domestics. It tows as well or better than my 5.9 equipped Ram, 4.6 equipped Ford, or 350 equipped Chevy did. It can haul as much or more than any of the others comparable versions. Empty, it is much quicker and smoother on the road. I tow a trailer daily for work, and it does a great job. Unlike most who feel the need to buy a sense of machismo via a truck purchase, I live a "macho" life every day at work and simply want the best, most reliable vehicle for the purpose.

The vast majority of trucks sold are not used for super heavy duty towing or hauling, and I find it amusing that a few macho man redneck neanderthal high school dropout types come on here and go on and on about their narrow specific needs not being met by the Tundra. ( eet don no have no limited slip, dernit!)...as if that disqualifies it for all of humanity. Fine, then DON'T BUY ONE. I'm sure Toyota isn't worried about the 300 people in America who rock crawl on weekends and can also actually afford a $30,000 truck not having one of theirs to scratch up. Instead, they made a great truck for the millions who want solid transportation with utility, comfort, and quality. Go buy a junker jeep if you want maximum off-road ability.

Go buy a "macho" Ram and watch the clearcoat peel off as it ages. Revel in your masculinity as you count out the bills for your 3rd tranny in 100,000 miles. Stare death in the face as you stand on the brakes and slam into the back of an 18 wheeler with it's worst-in-class braking ability. Practice your hardline negotiation skills with service writers who won't fix your obviously broken truck, insisting it's "within spec". Take pride in the knowledge that real men don't mind squeaks and noise. After all, you'll be laughing when that one day out of the 2000 days you own it, you actually need to max out and haul a couple hundred pounds of pea gravel.

The fact is....if you identify yourself by what brand of vehicle you drive, you are a LOOOOOSSSEEERRRRRRRRR. And unless you designed and built it yourself, why would you take any "pride" in it? All you did, macho man, was sign a lease or purchase agreement. Any fool can do that.
  • pchengpcheng Member Posts: 162
    My sentiments EXACTLY!
  • rotorrayrotorray Member Posts: 42
    AND A CAPITAL "DITTO", AT THAT!!
  • tp4unctp4unc Member Posts: 437
    Well said.
  • samirpowarsamirpowar Member Posts: 28
    How about posting #188 on Topic 1187? Seems like there's a lot more traffic there and the intended recepients may see it.
    Make that Topic 1167....
  • sandman6sandman6 Member Posts: 11
    enough said!!!!!
  • epoeepoe Member Posts: 56
    Could someone plz tell me if the Tundra is available with heated seats? heated outside mirrors? Auto dimming rear view mirror? Thx!
  • 606zpx606zpx Member Posts: 75
    The auto dimming mirror with compass and temp is available as a port installed option for 199 dealer invoice.

I have not seen heated seats or outside mirror as an option.

Hope this help----you must live in a cold climate\
    Nice and sunny here in Charleston (when we're not having a hurricane)
  • pr4mncpluspr4mncplus Member Posts: 22
    I'm seriously considering buying the Tundra, but am really concerned about the back seat. I have kids, so they'll sit on anything, but what about medium-sized adults. All the mags and online truck reviews say the Tundra is a great truck EXCEPT for the back seat and the rear almost verticl back pad. Any comments?
  • atoyotatoyot Member Posts: 58
    A person that works at the plant told us on a different forum that Toyota is redesigning the back seat for year model 2001. I don't know about you, but my 6'2" frame fits really snuggly back in the extra cab part and that is great for me since I can sleep and not worry about moving all over the place.
    The rear seats are marginal at best and only for kids. It's a compromise you are going to have to make if you want to buy Toyota quality. The Chevy better suited my needs in terms of space and size, but it is a Chevy! Due to the back seat limitations, I further compromised and got the bench seat which holds three up front quite comfortably. The only complaint I have with my Tundra is the independent minded armrest/center console. It shakes, rattles and rolls at the slightest provocation! Shame on Toyota for letting this fine truck out the door with this very obvious defect. BTW, we have two kids, 7 and 11, and one of them sits up front with us, while the other has the entire back seat to stretch out in. With a couple of pillows thrown in, the kids now fight for the privilege of riding in the back. Had no complaints with this arrangements even on long trips.
  • rs_pettyrs_petty Member Posts: 423
    Just bought mine a week ago. The first time I looked at the Tundra I had the same feeling, that the back was too small. I have 2 kids (13/11). It depends on where you put the front seats (and the real room is not like the picture in the brochure). If the front sitters are long legged then the back will suffer. I'm just average height and wife same. The first thing I did was to adjust the seats to what seemed reasonable and comfortable for the front passengers and then check the back seat. Probably for the next 3-4 years the kids can be comfortable for the short trips we make. My wife and kids actually remarked that the upright seat was comfortable - just can't do it for long periods. Space was the trade-off, but once the kids said it was ok the rest of the truck was solid. My advice is if you really like the truck overall then figure out if the space is really a shortcoming. If your carrying friends for a trip to dinner then can you live with sliding the front seats up a couple of notches to accommodate them? IMHO the rest of the truck's features/reputation/price was strong enough to offset this one area.
  • pr4mncpluspr4mncplus Member Posts: 22
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm looking at the Tundra because of the Toyota quality and that great LS400 V-8. What's silly about this back seat thing, is that we just purchased a new Mustang GT Convertible. Well, you know about the back seat in that thing! My two kids are 6 and 8, but I also cart around the in-laws from time to time, so guess I want the best of both worlds in buying a supercab truck (hey, guess I could put the in-laws in the bed, huh?). Edmunds and other e-sites have really bashed the Tundra on one thing, the back seat. One suggestion I liked, noted above, was getting the bench seat up front. Is it better than the buckets??
  • rs_pettyrs_petty Member Posts: 423
    I have only driven the 60/40 front bench seat so can't compare. I didn't want the buckets, wanted the 6th seat. It is very comfortable and adjusts "just right" for me. I have a Lumina as the wife's car so rear seat space for trips wasn't as big an issue for me (we take hers). The backseat is comfortable - just smaller than a Chevy. If I had to take a guess though I'd wager that the Tundra backseat will be much more supportive over the years than the Chevy seat.
    With the center console/armrest down, you can't tell the difference between individual buckets and the 60/40 bench. If you end up buying, go with the bench - I've had no regrets (though I really wanted the buckets) except for the annoying rattling of the armrest. BTW, it only happens when the armrest is down and the passenger seat empty. More of an annoyance really, but given Toyota's record, should never have seen the light of day.
  • bonnie_rickbonnie_rick Member Posts: 115
    will not show up in our Search engine due to its' misspelling, please continue in the more popular Toyota Tundra - II (Topic #1167).

Bonnie Rick
    Town Hall Community Manager, Edmunds.com
This discussion has been closed.