Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Year 2000 Silverado

2»

Comments

• Options
    2kchev2kchev Member Posts: 2
    Hope wait times don't turn out like mine did. I just got off the "long road"(I hope!).

I ordered my truck(LS regcab lb 4x4, towpkg, lockdiff, 4spd 5.3 + more) Feb99...JUST TODAY Sep14, the dealer called me with the VIN & notification that the vehicle shipped 2days ago.

At the outset, I too was told gee whiz(smile, wink, wink), we should be able to have your truck here in 10 - 12 weeks...! are those roses i smell?

Reasons(given):
    Constraints, not building regular-cabs, you want a 4.8?, how about an extended?

Suppose I could've gone down the street to the next dealer, but I didn't dare get "out of line" in allocation, for fear that I'd have to start all over...

The pain should end in about 10 days when all 4 wheels hit the ground at the dealer lot.

It has definitely been a Extended cab buyers market year! Perhaps their delivery/build date expectations are built upon Extcab times...

good luck all!
  • Options
    kernickkernick Member Posts: 4,072
    My wife ust ent me an E-mail from work. She spoke with our salesman on our order (dealer 7/31, dealer got order # 1.5 weeks later), looking for a builddate. He told her you don't need to get a builddate now, they just built it yesterday!
    Rather crazy... but ok. Supposedly they will check it for a week checking content, operation, then 2 weeks shipping to get here. So I have to hustle to sell my '98 Camaro (V-6, 5-speed), or else I have a set trade-in price.
    My order was a 2000 LS 1500, ext. cab, 5.3, Z-71, trailer pkg., Autotrac, 265 tires, Gold ext. w/ oak interior (bench seat). Again I'll point out to people that you can save big bucks by getting the bench seat instead of buckets ... and it looks more useful - seat or console. Also think about what else y can buy rather than the $450 for those power seats!
  • Options
    mfreemanmfreeman Member Posts: 37
    I walked into the dealer on July 14th and ordered a GMC Sierra 4x4 z71 ext stepside, w/5.3, 3.73 fully loaded truck. On Aug 13 I was given an order number, and about a week ago I was given a build date of Sept 20th. So I'm guessing that I will get my truck around the first week of Oct. with any luck.

Mike Freeman
  • Options
    bucks2bucks2 Member Posts: 3
    THANKS
    I CHECKED AND IT IS THERE, SOMETHING YOU MIGHT WANT TO LOOK AT IS THE REAR END BREATHER TUBE THE WAY MINE WAS ROUTED IT NEEDED A COUPLE OF ZIP TIES ADDED TO KEEP IT FROM POSSIBLY CATCHING ON????
  • Options
    shamptonshampton Member Posts: 53
    Placed my 2000 Silverdo order on 8/16 and received
    an order number within a couple days.

Spoke to dealer this morning regarding build date
    and was told my order is in "Code 3100 status".
    Dealer further mentioned that "Code 3400 status" is
    where we need to be to get a build date, however
    he estimates w/o 9/27.

Does anyone have information regarding this "Code
    3100 vs 3400 status"? Is this merely GM ordering
    terminology, or am I getting fed a line by the
    dealer?

Thanks for your replies in advance!

Bill
  • Options
    peteraypeteray Member Posts: 4
    I just read your post. Thanks for your help. On my lunch hour Tuesday, I decided to try Hamilton Chevrolet in Warren. I walked into the sales office, was directed to an available salesman, and they placed my order right away. The two salesmen I spoke with said that the saleswoman at the Chevy dealer in the Troy Motor Mall either didn't know what she was doing, or just didn't want to deal with it. They told me what my dad did: the items on constraint could come off constraint the next day, or even later the same day; you just don't know, so why not just place the order? I was treated like a king at Hamilton, and for anyone in the northern suburbs of Detroit, I highly recommend them.

I phoned my salesman later in the day, and he already had an order number for me. He said approximately eight weeks until delivery. I'm figuring it will be longer with the flood of orders GM is getting, but you never know. Anyway, I ordered a Medium Charcoal Gray extended cab with a Medium Gray interior (custom cloth bench), 5.3L engine, 3.42 axle, trailering package, and I got the chrome stainless steel wheels. I'm really looking forward to owning a truck after two Firebirds.

Thanks again for your advice; I'll keep it in mind for my next vehicle. I'll post again when I take delivery.
  • Options
    mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    Hamilton in Warren?

I said Heidebreicht Chevrolet in Romeo.

Oh well

Glad you got what you needed.

- Tim
  • Options
    peteraypeteray Member Posts: 4
    I'm from Sterling Heights.
  • Options
    That's cool

I'd drive as far as I needed to get good service.

Glad ya got what you need.

I'm out in Romeo

- Tim
  • Options
    moudry1moudry1 Member Posts: 61
    ANY RESPONSE TO # 216 IN THE HOWTO PICK A PICKUP TOPIC WOULD BE APRICIATED.
  • Options
    vince4vince4 Member Posts: 1,268
    What is that question, or what is the topic #?
  • Options
    I STARTED A NEW TOPIC ON THIS. EXTENDED CAB SHORT BOX VERSES LONG BOX, TOPIC # 1037.
  • Options
    mckainmckain Member Posts: 20
    Does anyone know how this system really works? How can it shift into 4x4 quick enough to help when you loose traction on a highway at speed? I just bought a 99 5.3/auto 4x4 auto-track and I am leary of when to use it in 4x4 mode. Older trucks did not like running on dry pavement with 4x4 on.

Questions are: what happens when it goes into 4x4
    mode. Do both the hubs and transmission engage or
    are the hubs always engaged and the transfer case just engages? Is there a clutch in the transfer case that allows some slip or does it just engage a gear?

Any info would help me use it better.

Thx,
    Jim
  • Options
    rbristol1rbristol1 Member Posts: 8
    I also ordered a 2000 ext. cab Z71 indigo blue/pewter with the fender flares around Aug 16th. the dealer claims its to be built next week, 9/27 and I should have it 10 to 12 days later... How close have they been to promised dates? Thanks in advance
  • Options
    mccloskeymccloskey Member Posts: 8
    Got mine 3 weeks earlier than promised - 5 weeks total.
  • Options
    mccloskeymccloskey Member Posts: 8
    Got mine 3 weeks earlier than promised - 5 weeks total.
  • Options
    Garret..is that you?

- Tim
  • Options
    adp800adp800 Member Posts: 1
    I walked into the dealer Sept. 11th and sitting on the Showroom floor was my 2000 Z71 ext cab, 5.3, pretty much loaded except auto track which I didn't want. It is a real nice Indigo Blue with grey cloth. He had about 6 of them in stock, is there still a problem getting one?
  • Options
    I THINK ONE OF THE SIX HAS YOUR NAME ON IT! UNLESS YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A 3/4 TON THE AVAILABILITY IS GOOD. GO GET ONE.
  • Options
    denn777denn777 Member Posts: 52
    Does anyone know when they're going to begin making the 4th door? I was told production would start in October on 2 doors first, then to 4 wheel drive.
  • Options
    lutdaddylutdaddy Member Posts: 10
    their computers ALWAYS have invoice price. Sneaky dealers!
  • Options
    jkaniajkania Member Posts: 40
    I just placed an order for a 1500 LT 2WD with ZX3 Ride Control Suspension. I have heard previously that that potion was on 'hold'. The dealer says the order was accepted. Has anyone seen a Silverado with Ride Control Suspension? I wonder if the 'hold'is off?
  • Options
    talenthuntertalenthunter Member Posts: 7
    We are looking at a Y2K 1500 Silverado LT Ext Cab Short Box 5.3 Liter Automatic with either 3.73 or 4.10 axel ratios. Can anyone commment on expected mileage absolute and difference for these trucks?
  • Options
    fishman349fishman349 Member Posts: 6
    I also have ordered a XZ3 ride control. Have been told by the dealer that its only available on the four door models which are in production now. I've been told to expect delivery first week of Nov. I'll let you know if its real.
  • Options
    From what i have seen maybee 2 mpg differance. I am getting 14-15 mpg with my 6.0 liter with 4.10 rear.
  • Options
    fchobbsfchobbs Member Posts: 1
    Anyone know facts on the rear door option. Availability? Also, the brochure shows two short doors in some photos and what appears to be a longer door on the left side in other photos (especially the top pictures). It appears for strength there may be one longer left door hinging in the bed area and one short door hinging on the side. Doesn't matter much since the option is not priced and the delivery is. of course, unknown. Isn't it unfortunate that we must go through this controlled shortage so the dealers can demand higher prices.
  • Options
    ernst21ernst21 Member Posts: 1
    I ordered my 2000 silverado the first week in august. I knew what I wanted so I called in my order to the dealership, the sales man faxed me back a decent price (300 over invoice), and the deal was done. I met the salesman for the first time face to face two weeks ago to check on the progress. He told me it was built sept. 20 and will take 3-4 weeks for delivery. If you know what you want I recommend buying your truck this way (they give you a better price up front), and
    dealing with the salesman has been a pain free experience, but I'm still waiting on the truck to arrive.

Mark
  • Options
    buschenabuschena Member Posts: 5
    Am about to order a 2500 Silverado with a 6.0.
    I pull a 4 horse bumper hitch trailer that probably goes 7500 gross when full (I'm
    guessing on the trailer weight).

I like manuals and like their price vs. an
    auto. Is the new auto transmission as good
    as everyone (at least the dealers) are saying
    it is? How about the availability of manuals
    if I want to order a truck?
  • Options
    swobigswobig Member Posts: 634
    makes the auto more livable for towing a heavy load like your, but if price is a main objection I'd go with the manual...
  • Options
    ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    I emailed a few dealers in my state and neighboring states (im in indiana) all the local dealers are some words i cant say. I got a reply from one dealer in angola indiana like 3 hrs from me. We have been talking he has given me a price and all even though im not gonna order till march. We talk all the time online and a couple of times over the phone hes been a big help answers all my questions truthfully. This weekend im going to my uncles in fort wayne and gonna go talk to the guy in person. SOmetimes you have to travel a distance to get what u want. Good break in too like 100 some miles home. Oh yea a great price too $26500 before taxes (with gm supplier deal).
  • Options
    dplascencia2dplascencia2 Member Posts: 8
    I first place my 1999 order on january , by the end of may i knew i was not going to get it ,so after some hot verbage with the dealer i had to re-order again on june 29, i finally received my truck on october 21, everything i order was on it and i'm very happy so far. my deal was a GMO and for some reason at least here in northridge CA. GMO orders were taking "back seat" anyhow after it was set and done i paid $389.47 Below dealer invoice. the GMO worked out to be 17% off the posted SMRP my deal was great ,it was the frustation and waiting time that about drove me nut's. i hope and prey that the truck lives up to the published G.M. Specs(full cab,short bed sportside,5.3 vortec, 3.73,locking diff. 4 speed auto with HD tow package ,chrome style ss steel wheels , large air cleaner,40-20-40 seat, and many more little extras. Best to all of you Chevy Lovers. Dan.
  • Options
    nasvikingnasviking Member Posts: 43
    What's a GMO?
  • Options
    shamptonshampton Member Posts: 53
    4 weeks after taking delivery of a 2000 Silverado 1/2 Ton Ext. Cab 4x4 - I have noticed that each and every time the vehicle is started - the A/C kicks on.

Not only does the indicator light in the climate control panel illuminate, but the system is engaged. This occurs regardless of what setting the system was on when the vehicle was turned off (unless the system was completely turned off).

For example, if the "outside fresh air" blower is selected, and the fan set at level 2 - with the system directing that fresh air toward the passenger's chests, the A/C will be turned on when the vehicle is started.

After a trip to the dealer today for the first oil change, I was shocked to hear that "the software settings may be incorrect, or outdated". This vehicle was produced Wk. 3 Sept'99!

If anyone else has noticed or experienced this, please advise. Also, if you have been made aware of any service updates pertaining to this issue, please share this information.

Other than this issue, I have enjoyed my first month of ownership!
  • Options
    billk5billk5 Member Posts: 14
    on my 2000 LT I have no way to flip seat back, on either side. On my 95 the passanger side slid forward and the drivers seat back fliped up but on my new truck no way no handle nothing, am I missing something or is this a new design ?
  • Options
    jerobbinsjerobbins Member Posts: 48
    That was a feature in the 99 Silverados that was removed in the 2000 model. I don't know why, since it was very useful. Without the fourth door on the driver's side being able to flip the seatback (or the whole seat in the LS) forward was extremely handy.
  • Options
    dplascencia2dplascencia2 Member Posts: 8
    G.M. offers two types of "Deals" for employees
    and their families, in the past they refer to them
    as "option 1" and "option 2" .Today they are called GMO which means general motors
    out of stock order, the other is called GMS
    which means general motors stock , with a
    GMO you have to order the vehicle ,with a
    GMS you buy it off the available stock "no
    waiting time" (but you pay approx 3% above
    what the GMO would have cost you.all around
    the GMO is the best way to go if you are not
    desperate to get your vehicle. any dealer should be able to print out both price lists for anyone
    you can "bounce" the price they quote you
    against what you can print out of "edmunds"
    you will see that edmunds is "right on" the
    SMRP and invoice price coinside with the
    dealers print out .all the dealers across the country are "hooked up" to G.M. main frame
    computer so they all are reading from the same
    price list .any dealer that tell you different is
    not "playing straight". to qualify for a GMO or GMS, you "MUST" be related to a G.M.
    employee.( also the allowed discounts vary
    depending on what vehicle you select I.E.
    truck Vs Car ) If you qualify GMO is the way
    to go. Best of luck . Dan
  • Options
    gfarre_99gfarre_99 Member Posts: 1
    Well I'm getting excited now.
    I ordered my 3/4 Silverado LS 2WD ext cab 6.0 w/4.01 in the Long bed on Sept.5th. My dealer here in central Ca. had a choice allotmment and he put my name on it. I waited two days for order confirmation and 5 weeks later received a build date of Nov. 1-5th. Now I'm wondering where the truck might be built and approximately how long for shipping. I have felt extremely fortunate after following this bulletin board for the last two months and having read so many terrible stories regarding order times. Anybody tell me how many factories and where they might be building the 3/4 tons at?
  • Options
    meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
    As a result of 30 or more days of inactivity....

this topic is being "frozen." It will be archived or deleted in the next 10 days or so.

Front Porch Philosopher
    SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host
This discussion has been closed.