Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

The Volt as Lightening Rod

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in General

imageThe Volt as Lightening Rod

Anwyl weighs in on the debate that began this week with a Forbes article written by Bill Lutz, former Vice Chairman of General Motors Forbes, in which he takes various media outlets to task for picking on the Chevy Volt.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    tysalphatysalpha Member Posts: 51
    The Volt was given to the wrong brand. Chevrolet's brand personality and promise is all about freedom, capabilities, ruggedness. The type of buyer who identifies with those attributes is not interested in an alternative fuel vehicle.

And it doesn't work much better as a Buick. Yes, the price works better: Give it a slightly nicer interior and exterior, call it the Electra, and the price would fit. But Buick's buyers don't identify with env. conservation, either.

The only brand GM had that was a natural fit between this car and the brand's customers was Saturn.
  • Options
    dbzimpdbzimp Member Posts: 1
    As I've stated in other article comments . I have test driven the Volt it is an exercise in avant garde' technology.I like the ride/drive dynamics of the car very much.Its price point is a little too tall for my wallet though. GM (not the taxed to death citizens) provided all of the R&D funding and the resultant vehicle is most impressive! Now if we can keep the non-automotive press out of the loop(all t.v./cable/satellite news organizations) or at least encourage them to learn and report the truth about this vehicle we would all be the better for it! I am not a damn Liberal and I most certainly am not a tree hugging eco-weenie but I do want to hear the truth about this vehicle and I will not be deviated from my goal in this matter.
  • Options
    drpaxisdrpaxis Member Posts: 1
    Something weird is happening. Edmunds is cited as saying GM and other car sites are saying GB discounted the Volt $10K to move sales, etc. The source is of this reference is Fox News. Oddly, not a single thing that FOX cites checks out.

One wonders why or who is behind the fierce desire to completely discredit GB and the Volt. Consumers reports rates 9 out of 10 of the American autos by class as best as coming from GM. That is an amazing shift.

And the Volt is clearly a huge technical advance, and will only get better. I own one, and it is great.