Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 Volkswagen Passat TDI Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Volkswagen

image2013 Volkswagen Passat TDI Long-Term Road Test

We covered over 2,400 miles in our long-term 2013 Volkswagen Passat TDI. Here is its March fuel economy.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    greenponygreenpony Member Posts: 531
    But the commercials tell me it can go 795 miles on a tank.
  • Options
    chrisb12chrisb12 Member Posts: 9
    The commercial does say theoretical range of 795 miles per tank (mpg x tank capacity) and the math does work quite nicely. I can say that on my Passat TDI SE 6 speed stick I typically hit over 700 miles on a tank before I refill (720 give or take) and usually can only get 16.5-17 gallons in to a tank that holds just over 18 gallons. My wifes TDI SEL DSG will usually go about 650 or so on a tank and fill about 16 - 16.5. I can say when the weather is warm (over 40) I'll get up to 50mpg on my normal 1/2 hour commute without trying but average somewhere around 43 mpg for the entire tank -- so far both cars are averaging close to the highway mpg advertised for all driving (mixed). Getting fuel is a bi-weekly or monthly chore now rather than a weekly one.
  • Options
    expensivehobbyexpensivehobby Member Posts: 91
    That 795 figure assumes pretty much draining the tank, which the guage reading and warning notices would not like at all. I believe it's based on the manual's 43 hwy estimate. I've done better than that on some tanks with my DSG, but I ran out of trip, as my destination was a little over 400 miles, then back to in-town traffic which took it down closer to 40 overall. I do think the ad is a double-edged sword for them.