Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Tesla

image2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Road Test

The carpool stickers that we waited so long for aren't quite as worthwhile as we had hoped.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    noburgersnoburgers Member Posts: 500
    that may be true--but you are still making all traffic move better--all those cars would be crammed into the standard lanes. I don't know how you guys can stand that kind of traffic
  • Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    Coming soon...backups at the EV charging stations.
  • Options
    drcomputerdrcomputer Member Posts: 82
    At 265 miles of charge why would any Telsa owner stop at a charging station in-town? More like lines at gas stations when oil runs out.
  • Options
    cjasiscjasis Member Posts: 274
    It's the number of carpool exempt cars. My daily commute is littered with plug in prius, leaf, volt and teslas.
  • Options
    stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    @noburgers: That's why I was initially confused about why the New Jersey traffic scandal was such a big deal. Apparently in the rest of the US a traffic jam counts as major news. In Los Angeles its called Tuesday.
  • Options
    legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    Sounds like it's time to return the carpool lane to the purpose for which it was intended. If CA wants to provide incentives for EV and hybrid purchases, they should keep them monetary. The carpool lane is not merely an environmental concern as it is also about congestion.
  • Options
    mercedesfanmercedesfan Member Posts: 365
    @legacygt, That assumes that LA represents the situation in all of California, and thankfully it does not (in more ways than one). Here in the Bay Area the carpool lanes still move right along (usually) and my Tesla's carpool sticker is a tremendous boon.
  • Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    drcomputer, I was referring to Superchargers, not in-town. And with over 18,000 miles on it, Edmunds' Tesla S has never gone 265 miles on a charge.
  • Options
    greenponygreenpony Member Posts: 531
    So you're buying access to a lane that's equally as congested as every other lane. I'm all for having options, but geez.
  • Options
    carchatter1carchatter1 Member Posts: 6
    Here in Atlanta they took away the entire HOV lane (2+ people, or motorcycles only) and turned it into a HOT lane (must have transponder, and pay to use it unless you have 3+ people, motorcycle, or EV). It costs $8 just to drive 15 miles on the I-85 now if you want to drive it by yourself. That's $320 month in tolls to commute if you drove it every M-F. My Leaf allows me to drive it free, so it's cheaper to pay for the car than the tolls. So I guess it's just one benefit of driving an EV, but I wonder how long before they take that away.
  • Options
    awd_ownz_uawd_ownz_u Member Posts: 0
    Toll lanes are definitely the wave of the future. In a way it makes sense because people who are willing to pay a bunch to bypass traffic can do so and it makes it a little better for the people in the regular lanes as well. Of course the toll lanes in the LA area aren't in the best of locations. The 110 toll lane always makes me laugh as it dump you right into a snarl of traffic in downtown. Make it go through downtown and you might be on to something! I'll stick with my bike and lane splitting for now.
  • Options
    actualsizeactualsize Member Posts: 451
    I was the one that passed Ed while driving in the standard lanes. I left work about 4 minutes after he did. After that the "lead" swapped back and forth a few times over the next 30 miles at the 30 mph or so we were travelling. I was a few car lengths in front when he finally exited the HOV lane in preparation for his freeway exit. That said, the carpool lane is usually the winning way unless you are at the very peak of rush hour. But I absolutely love it when I beat or at least keep pace with the carpool lane, and it's happening more and more often.

Twitter: @Edmunds_Test

• Options
    d_wd_w Member Posts: 2
    Stickers are still big benefit on 110 to downtown since can drive solo and not pay toll.