Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA250 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Mercedes-Benz

image2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA250 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.com editor James Riswick experiences a problem with the Mercedes CLA250's throttle during his road trip to California's north coast.

Read the full story here

Comments

• zimtheinvaderzimtheinvader Member Posts: 580
    Ironically it seems that now that computers don't need rebooted so much (mine get rebooted every few months at most) cars are starting to need rebooted.
  • desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    The warning message on the dash said to consult the Owner's manual. Did u check it out? I would have had the passenger do that while u were driving.
  • DebunkerDebunker Member Posts: 49
    Roughrider almost become no-rider. Now you see why so many people buy Toyotas and Hondas. I have a feeling that your CLA250 is going to get a lot of garage time, sometimes even by choice.
  • agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    I guess M-B's legendary reliability is just that, a legend.
  • mrrytemrryte Member Posts: 28
    The more I read about the CLA250, the better the BMW 320i looks to me.
  • mercedesfanmercedesfan Member Posts: 365
    I wouldn't jump on the "MB's are unreliable crap" bandwagon just yet (their strong performance in all reliability surveys of late largely disproves that anyway). I'm not going to pretend they don't have a propensity for electrical problems, but flukes like this aren't uncommon for first model years of brand new cars. It is part of the reason to wait a model year or two for the bugs to be worked out.
  • emajoremajor Member Posts: 332
    Well, it's nice to know you don't have to buy a used Mercedes super coupe to get this kind of "I'm going on a road trip will my car even make it back on its own power" experience. Comes that way brand new.
  • bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    Desmolicious, I would be interested in what the manual says about that warning, but I would also be amazed if it was more than either (1) turn car off, wait 10 minutes, restart and see if light is still lit and/or (2) take to dealer for diagnosis. I would have done just what James did.
  • banhughbanhugh Member Posts: 315
    That's a hell of a 40 minute drive to the closest town with the worry of an eminent vehicle breakdown.

This is why so many people prefer Honda/Toyota/Lexus. They want to trade the occasional 40 minutes of vehicle breakdown uncertainty with less luxurious feeling or handling/ engine performance for the entire time they own the vehicle.
  • kirkhilles_kirkhilles_ Member Posts: 151
    My guess is that this isn't the end of this story. I'm sure it'll happen again soon and rebooting WON'T fix it next time.
  • diigiidiigii Member Posts: 156
    I remember reading years ago about M-B mandated fewer electronics in their cars to prop their reliability, prompted by JD Powers' in that year's survey from being top 1 in the mid 90's falling to No 16. I guess that mandate was never followed.
  • bolotiboloti Member Posts: 47
    Same thing happen to me.... Will take to the dealer this Friday....