We have an updated look. Click here for information on how to manage your settings. If you run into any issues, please email [email protected]

Tesla To Launch EV Battery Swap Network

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Posts: 10,130
edited September 2014 in Tesla

imageTesla To Launch EV Battery Swap Network

Tesla Motors says it will offer owners of its electric cars the ability to swap depleted batteries for fresh ones at a network of battery exchange stations. The process will be faster than filling a conventional vehicle's gas tank.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• shatnershatner Posts: 176
    Amazing technology, but that is one complicated fill-up!
    I don't see how they can ever recoup their costs though, sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.
  • soakee_soakee_ Posts: 14
    I'm confused - why does the article refer to Tesla as "Electric car pioneer Tesla Motors" when the pioneer of electric cars was Baker Motor Vehicle Company way back in the early 20th century? Edmunds, check your facts.
  • greenponygreenpony Chicago, ILPosts: 531
    "Musk said Thursday that Agassi "got the idea for Better Place" while visiting Tesla"... Really? Because I've been swapping batteries as long as I've been alive, in things like radios, remote controls, cameras... That concept MUST have come from Tesla!
  • jodelljodell Posts: 9
    Greenpony: Didn't say Agassi got the idea for battery swapping - just for Better Place.
    To be completely accurate, Musk did in fact acknowledge that swapping batteries "isn't a novel concept" because it's done every day in kids' toys, etc. etc.

Soakee: Will "Modern-day electric car pioneer" make things better?
  • texasestexases Posts: 9,508
    This is nuts. We already had a company flush a billion dollars of invertor money down the drain on the same idea, before declaring bankruptcy. A Tesla battery costs what, $30,000? How will there be enough cars to make this worthwhile? And who's responsible if I swap out, or in, a dead/bad battery pack?

I fear for my taxpayer wallet on this one...
  • jeffinohjeffinoh Posts: 156
    I just got home from putting 15 gallons of gas in my Cadillac Deville. It gets me more than 300 miles of combined driving. To swap a Tesla battery and re-swap it costs twice as much? Advantage gasoline.