Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Volkswagen Passat TSI Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Volkswagen

image2014 Volkswagen Passat TSI Long-Term Road Test

The keyless entry/ignition on our 2014 Volkswagen Passat TSI is a great feature.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• jaguar36jaguar36 Member Posts: 15
    I use my garage door opener to get into my house, so its awesome for me. I only carry my car key, and it never leaves my pocket.
  • zimtheinvaderzimtheinvader Member Posts: 580
    "you're still going to need to get your key ring out to unlock the front door of your house. It's a valid point." -- Or you can get one of the new proximity deadbolt locks for your house door or even a digital keypad deadbolt. I park my car in the garage but I still lock the door to the house from the garage and one of the best things I ever bought was the keypad deadbolt. Just hit one button when leaving and it locks and I never have to take the keys out.
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    I don't have my other keys on my car fob. Those keys go in the other pocket, on their own ring. Also, with just a bit of VAGCOM coding, this fob will roll the windows up, close the sunroof, and it will also roll the windows down...from anywhere within the fob's range. On a 95-degree day, rolling the windows down when you get within 75 yards of the car will drop the temp inside the car by about 30 degrees by the time you arrive there to open the door. Yes, the whole keyless thing is great (I have it), but NOT getting hit in the face by 140-degree air when you open the door is a huge addition to that.
  • stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    I thought it was overblown too until I got the feature in our new car. When you have an armload full of whatever and another hand holding a toddler's hand, being able to let go just to open the door, and not again to have to fish around in your pocket is so very convenient. The system on our C-Max is a little too range-limited though. My wife keeps her keys in a backpack-style diaper bag and if she is square between the door and the bag it sometimes won't detect the key. She has to twist her upper body to angle the bag towards the door to get it to unlock. That's a bit too picky.
  • expensivehobbyexpensivehobby Member Posts: 91
    One of very few regrets I have for not getting the SEL or the Nav option on the SE. Essentially, it was a trade-off for the better-operating infotainment system.
  • allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    After the Toyota debacle it would be nice to know what the emergency procedures are to turn off the engine in your cars with keyless systems. There is no universal method. Also, what is VW's method to start the car if the battery in the fob is dead. I like the Toyota/Honda method of placing the fob next to the start button until it lights up then press the button.
  • hybrishybris Member Posts: 365
    Call me a barbarian but I will stick with my steel keys for as long as possible.
  • joner800joner800 Member Posts: 80
    whats up with the switchblade key, though?? havent seen one of those since my wife's '99 Acura CL..!
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    Procedure to start with a dead battery in the key fob is the same as everyone else's - hold it next to the pushbutton and start normally. What's up with the switchblade key - all VWs have them...and if you don't actually need a key to start or get into the car, would you rather have a long, narrow poky thing in your pocket or a shorter, lozenge-shaped thing with no sharp corners or ends?
  • juddholl10juddholl10 Member Posts: 84
    I swear never to own a car without it ever again. ⅔ of my cars have it, and when I drive the third I always forget that it's not so equipped.
  • nuievenuieve Member Posts: 43
    That's one ugly looking keyfob. VW saved $0.05 per car by not putting any accents on it.