Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Z71 LT Crew Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Chevrolet

image2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Z71 LT Crew Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds conducts a Long-Term Test of the 2014 Chevrolet Silverado and reports on its fuel economy on a long trip.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    It sure isn't outstanding, but getting ~20mpg on the highway with a V8 full size truck is pretty good. These trucks still have a way to go in this department, but it is nice to see improvement. Oh, by the way, thanks for the article 'Anonymous'.
  • Options
    jeepsrtjeepsrt Member Posts: 88
    I would think it would have done better, I get 17 mpg in my SuperCrew Raptor going from Colorado Springs to Breckenridge which is all mountain driving.
  • Options
    @jeepsrt: That's still a 15% improvement. I really think that we're going to have to come away from the massive grill on trucks to open up better highway economy. As for the engines, they'll continue to evolve, albeit slowly. In this market, reliability a
  • Options
    jeepsrtjeepsrt Member Posts: 88
    @quadricycle: True but this truck has a much smaller V8, cylinder deactivation, lower weight and is 2WD with much smaller tires than the Raptor's 35" tires.
  • Options
    @jeepsrt again: Ah yes, good points. You would think there would be more improvement in that case. The reason, I would say, is that one of the largest factors at highway speeds is aerodynamics, where both trucks aren't that different (except for your tire
  • Options
    skeldskeld Member Posts: 2
    jeepsrt said:

@quadricycle: True but this truck has a much smaller V8, cylinder deactivation, lower weight and is 2WD with much smaller tires than the Raptor's 35" tires.

It's a Z71, how could it be 2WD?
  • Options
    neuralchrisneuralchris Member Posts: 1
    I find it hard to believe that a naturally aspirated Raptor gets better than the EPA estimated mileage at 5-10k feet altitude going uphill. I live in Denver and drive up to go skiing regularly in my Volt and it gets lower than the estimate mileage when in charge sustaining mode even though it isn't even driving the wheels.