Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2007-'08 Honda Odyssey Recalled for Unexpected Braking

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Honda

image2007-'08 Honda Odyssey Recalled for Unexpected Braking

Honda is recalling 344,187 2007-'08 Honda Odyssey minivans because the Vehicle Safety Assist System may apply the brakes unexpectedly, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    va_mom_of_4va_mom_of_4 Member Posts: 3
    This "unexpected braking" happened on Friday November 1, 2013 to me when I was driving our 2008 Honda Odyssey on the highway at night in the rain. The van came to a sudden complete stop in the travel lane. Luckily I was able to get the van off the road onto the narrow shoulder in time to avoid being hit. This is a HIGHLY dangerous situation. You are taking your life in your hands driving these. We bought our Odyssey new from the dealer and have maintained it throughout with Honda servicing. Don't think it can't happen to you!
  • Options
    silvia9silvia9 Member Posts: 3
    Don't rule out that you may have been driving too fast for the conditions as well. How good are your tires? Driving in rain can be slippery and some freeways have bad drainage. You could have been hydroplaining, and any activation of the VSA triggers braking systems. The article is speaking directly about speeds dropping 30mph for no apparent reason.
  • Options
    Nothing like trying to blame the victim! Sorry silvia9, it wasn't driver error. I was not driving too fast for conditions and my van was just inspected and serviced at our Honda service center on October 21st. This one is on Honda. The article states what Honda wants you to know not what is actually happening. I pulled to the side after it happened the first time. Turned off the van. Waited several minutes until it was safe to merge onto the highway again and moved forward. This time it happened when I was just starting to accelerate. Just curious, but do you happen to work for Honda? I spent 3 hours on the phone with American Honda customer service this morning...you sound so much like one of them.
  • Options
    By the way, silvia9, you can check the weather for Angola, Indiana on Nov. 1, 2013 at @ 8pm. It was simply raining, not a pouring, hydro plane inducing thunderstorm. When a car hydroplanes you lose control of it and the car starts to slide. At no time did I lose control of the steering, the van just stopped dead in its tracks. No sliding, no loss of control, no hydroplane.