Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2012 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Roadster Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Mercedes-Benz

image2012 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Roadster Long-Term Road Test

We picked up our 2012 Mercedes-Benz SLS from its 20,000-mile routine service this morning.

Read the full story here

Comments

• fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    $350 to change oil. Come on. 10 quarts of oil, and you probably have 2 drain points instead of 1 due to the dry sump system. So what? I"ll give them the $100 worth of oil, given the markup they pay, but...please - no remarks about how that is commensurate with a car that costs this much...just tell me how a qualified tech in a fully-equipped shop kills almost 2 hours of shop time changing the car's oil.
  • duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649
    It's the same thing for Porsche dealers. For a 911 they charge you obscene amounts for the multipoint inspection and the oil change... but they neglect to mention that since the engine is in the back, changing it and the filter takes a whopping 10 minutes max!

$600 please.
  • zcalvertzcalvert Member Posts: 76
    wow... $250 beyond the cost of oil for the oil change! that borders on criminal.

i'm guessing your maintenance costs on the old ferrari are starting to seem a bit more reasonable now...
  • mfennellmfennell Member Posts: 91
    If it were my car, the LAST person I'd want washing it would be the lot boy at the dealer.
    I suspect the $350 was for the "A" service, which includes all the checks highlighted on the previous entry. If they were actually done, it's easy to imagine burning an extra hour or so. Labor must be $150/hr out there too.

FWIW, the "V8 service special" at my nearby Ferrari dealer is $749 for oil & brake fluid.
    Hmm...just noticed no line feeds permitted in the comments.

More lame.
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    Brake fluid exchange at 20,000 miles? For $190? You've got to be kidding.
  • sodaguysodaguy Member Posts: 84
    So ultimately, the pricing wasn't that outrageous at all.

$350 for the oil change means they probably charged 1.5-2hr labor at the full shop rate for all of the inspections, which is somewhat justifiable for a car of this caliber.
  • prndlolprndlol Member Posts: 140
    Hopefully Stan gets a pat on the back, and the porters a lump of coal.