Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 Porsche 911 Carrera Cabriolet Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Porsche

image2013 Porsche 911 Carrera Cabriolet Long-Term Road Test

Read daily updates on our long-term road test of the 2013 Porsche 911 Carrera Cabriolet and follow along as our editors live with this car for a year.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649
    Porsche doesn't like the idea of a non-PASM car with those 20's, and yet that's exactly what you bought off the dealer. For an extra $2730. Is it just me or is there something wrong with this picture?
  • Options
    bassracerxbassracerx Member Posts: 188
    i see you fixed your "crappy tire guage" issue eh?
  • Options
    bassracerxbassracerx Member Posts: 188
    @duck there is a demand for them so they sell them. porsche is in the business of making money. its an extra 2 grand because the wheels and tires are more expensive then the 19s but honestly they could not be more then a grand more expensive but i guess t
  • Options
    jederinojederino Member Posts: 0
    Informative post, and interesting how much difference was made. A 10 PSI range for the rears - holy cow! Man, those Porsche engineers are a fussy bunch. Too bad the marketing bosses aren't with the program - 20-inch wheels are just nonsense.

I'm reminded that the Chevy Corvair had differential PSI recommendations, which owners frenquently ignored (to their peril).
  • Options
    sharpendsharpend Member Posts: 177
    Sigh.

It's been said before. RTFM.

It's amazing that Edmunds continues to let editors evaluate and actually write publicly about vehicles when they do NOT even know how to properly operate them! A RTFM procedure should be MANDATORY before Edmunds lets their editors get the keys to a vehicle.
  • Options
    stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    Sad how wheel size is the full determinant of self worth that so many car owners feel. I one time had a person tell me straight out that no one in his neighborhood would respect him if his car had less than 20 inch wheels.
  • Options
    vetting1vetting1 Member Posts: 1
    Is this a joke?...You guys actually drove around with 39/45 AP...
  • Options
    duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649
    @stovt001: Does he live in Donkville?

@ vetting1: You'd think they were towing a large trailer with a cow on the roof or something
  • Options
    quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    @jederino: Those engineers ARE fussy but no-one would argue that they are also some of the best in the business. It kills me that even at Porsche the bean counters have more say than it's flagship engineers.
  • Options
    jederinojederino Member Posts: 0
    @quadricylce: I know what you mean about bean counters, but I think we are not talking about accountants. In the automotive context, it's really marketing and sales people who rule the roost over the engineers.
  • Options
    davisdvmdavisdvm Member Posts: 2
    I recently leased a 2012 C4S coupe (997) and had almost an identical experience (I now have 18k miles on the odo). Not only was ride harshness a problem but also road noise, esp over concrete surfaces. The tire pressure had been set to the "full service" level and after reviewing the manual I reset the tires to the lesser pressure (the car has 19s and runs Bridgestone tires) and the difference was very noticeable, at least for ride quality. The car is still noisy on concrete but better. The other thing the dealer told me was that the suspension components would "soften" a bit after break in and I have to say, albeit subjective, that the car did improve in ride quality after a couple thousand miles. I think the take home is that this car is VERY sensitive to the type and size of tire/wheel and especially to the pressures you run. I certainly cannot discern any performance loss with the lower pressures but I do not track the car or push it beyond my amateur driving limits.
  • Options
    quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    @jederino again: I had no idea that was so, that's interesting. Care to elaborate? (Not arguing just curious). Is it so because Marketing looks at what consumers want? And by sales do you mean dealer network..... Like I said I would just like to know mor
  • Options
    autotragicautotragic Member Posts: 1
    Whoa, heavy duty tire pressure meter. Two decimal places? Nice!