Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2014 Mazda MAZDA3 S Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Mazda

image2014 Mazda MAZDA3 S Long-Term Road Test

Our update on Edmunds.com's long-term 2014 Mazda 3 S includes discussion of the spare tire.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    misterfusionmisterfusion Member Posts: 471
    That is...actually a really thoughtful touch. Well done, Mazda. (Also, good job on including an actual spare, instead of a can of fix-a-flat.)
  • Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    My GTI goes it one better...a real, full-size spare and a full-size spare tire well...which is a much better place for the flat tire than this hokey strap setup.
  • Options
    allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    In every Honda that I've owned the spare tire well can hold the flat full size tire. Better solution.
  • Options
    legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    While it's nice that they thought of this, I'm trying to think of the logic behind it. Is a wheel with a flat tire the only potential projectile that may fly get carried around in the Mazda? Of course not. This is a solution that must have come as much out of Legal as out of Engineering. They don't provide a strap for securing the stuff you get at Costco or Home Depot. No, the lawyers realized that, while anything flying around the car could be dangerous, the only thing that could fly around the inside car that could be traced back to Mazda in a lawsuit is the wheel. If they were really concerned about the passengers, Mazda would be telling it's engineers to develop straps and retention systems for all types of cargo.
  • Options
    mlin32_mlin32_ Member Posts: 9
    Since I plan to ditch the rubbish standard tires upon delivery of the vehicle anyway, I may either just take out the spare and put in a can of sealant + compressor, or buy run-flats (which have gotten much better). In the unlikely event of a flat, I wouldn't bother to go through that wrap-around process depicted.
  • Options
    craigistcraigist Member Posts: 29
    My cx5 has no such strap or room to put the full sized tire in the spare space... this has to have recently come from legal or some lawsuit they faced. Pretty bizarre
  • Options
    rallen1980rallen1980 Member Posts: 5
    I just bought a 2015 Mazda 3 sedan. I thought the strap was a tow strap to go along with the massive eyebolt they included. Obviously, I haven't read through the entire manual yet!