2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA250 First Drive

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,237
edited September 2014 in Mercedes-Benz

image2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA250 First Drive

With front-wheel drive and a four-cylinder engine, the Mercedes-Benz CLA250 isn't a typical German luxury sedan. See how it did in our First Drive.

Read the full story here

Comments

• agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    Is this Mercedes answer to the Volvo S60? The power and weight are all but identical to the 2006 model S60 I owned.
  • vikasdesaivikasdesai Member Posts: 6
    seems like the right car for the times, most people don't want rear wheel drive(there i said it) and 4wd is heavy and expensive, a front wheel drive sedan makes good as a daily driver while keeping costs low and mileage up. This thing should be a sales success, most people just want something to look good and have decent power, and this delivers, should take sales from the C-class but it should be worth it because it will take a ton of sales from the entry level bmw 3 series as it is cheaper and more stylish.
  • darthbimmerdarthbimmer Member Posts: 606
    The side styling looks like it was copied from the current BMW 1 series. Not really a good thing to imitate. Also, it's bigger than the current C class with the C expected to grow in the next iteration? Another not-good thing. Car makers should keep cars in the same market segment they became successful in. Stop bloating them up to the next size category and then introducing new models to do what the old one no longer can.
  • tonyridetonyride Member Posts: 1
    Looks promising. I will need to see it in person and test drive it before I can make any meaningful comments.
  • tim_bootim_boo Member Posts: 14
    What is the point of 4 doors if the backseat is unusable?
  • fortstringfortstring Member Posts: 111
    Looks like the closest competitor is the Volvo S60, like someone said earlier. Personally, I'd go for the S60, but more options are always good.
  • ks55ks55 Member Posts: 8
    Ooh Baby...i like this ...yes ,FWD and all. Glad to hear $29,950 to start with automatic and Nav and nice alloys. Agree with Darth and Vikas as this will be very successful and FWD is just fine by me. Cant do RWD as I have tried many times in the DC metro area and was a problem each time ( 2 Miatas, Porsche Boxster, BMW 3 series) and also had 2 AWD's ( Audi A4 and Audi TT Coupe both Quattro). FWD makes the most sense for me for this area as I am not concerned with "drifting" on the way to work or picking up groceries. Although I am a gearhead I have never raced on a race track either. So for all who knee jerk bang the RWD drum there are those of us who need to be somewhat practical . this lets me be "practical" but still have some sex in the equation too.
  • importfreakimportfreak Member Posts: 1
    They lost me with the lack of a traditional gearshift.
  • cars360cars360 Member Posts: 4
    This car looks great, is reasonably priced and once the AWD version comes out that will be incredible. The only problem is 208 horsepower IS NOT ENOUGH!!!!!! that car is going to be slower than molasses in outer space
  • dbs1968dbs1968 Member Posts: 2
    I have had mine 3 weeks. Black on Black with everything except sport pkg and parking assist. I have been getting about 26 in town and have not gone on highway enough to comment. Run flats are a bit noisy as the car makes almost zero sound itself due to the sleek styling. Ride and handling are pretty good. A lot like the older C 230 model I used to have. There is a bit of an issue with the software as some, including me, have had the car go into "limp mode" with the engine light on. Mine is at the dealer and they say its a software update. The HK sound is a bit sketchy on mine also. I will follow up once I get it back. Overall, a lot of bang for the buck and the interior is refined MB all the way. I dumped my G37x as it started to show it's age. Quite happy with the switch so far. If they fix the stuff it is sick with right now...
  • dbs1968dbs1968 Member Posts: 2
    By the way.. my friend is 6'1" and did not hit his head on the back seat roof. That is an urban legend. Are the back seats a little tight to get into, yes. Are they to low in head room, not unless you think this is a grocery getter...It is not...