Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Volkswagen Passat TDI Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Volkswagen

image2013 Volkswagen Passat TDI Long-Term Road Test

Our long-term 2013 Volkswagen Passat TDI is an easy pick for road trips. It's quiet and comfortable, and you'll rarely have to stop for fuel.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• reminderreminder Member Posts: 383
    Those TDI's fit the bill for anyone in need of an efficient, long distance cruiser. If the diesel is as durable as they typically are, you have a 300K vehicle for certain.
  • expensivehobbyexpensivehobby Member Posts: 91
    Just did a round trip PHX to ABQ. 44.1 mpg on the way over, 46.9 on the way back, with cruise set at 6-7 over the whole way. The car held cruise easily going up the 6% grades climbing out of Phoenix. 3,000 total miles on the car so far, so barely breaking it in yet. Great long-trip vehicle.
  • cuselancer17cuselancer17 Member Posts: 53
    I love the vw commitment to diesel. But where is the oil burner in something at least slighty desirable. CC? I have no doubt the passat tdi is a great car, a buddy owns a gas model and it is nice but a little bit...stoic? The new gtd or a CC TDI would be awesome. Anyone agree?
  • cuselancer17cuselancer17 Member Posts: 53
    I love the vw commitment to diesel. But where is the oil burner in something at least slighty desirable. CC? I have no doubt the passat tdi is a great car, a buddy owns a gas model and it is nice but a little bit...stoic? The new gtd or a CC TDI would be awesome. Anyone agree?
  • rwatsonrwatson Member Posts: 144
    cuselancer, I agree with you. I'm driving what may very well be my last VW. I guess they feel they've made the right decisions on decontenting their North American line of cars, but it will end up costing them their loyal cult follower base.

I really wanted the Golf TDI due to its durability and overall use of quality materials and construction, but will now cancel that notion after learning all North American bound Golfs will now be made in Mexico. That means (more than likely) the interior materials and features will also suffer like the Jetta line has. I'm living with the Jetta's last "attempt" at semi-quality (06 GLI) construction and even it leave a lot to be desired. As long as the average American thinks the type of "infotainment" (I really hate that word) and nav system dictates a car's quality, we will only experience a reduction in really nice automobiles.

As far as the Passat goes, I'll pass on them until VW shows us some watered-down NA version of a "German" car is more than just a Hyundai alternative.