Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Honda Accord Hybrid vs. 2013 Volkswagen Passat TDI

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Honda

image2014 Honda Accord Hybrid vs. 2013 Volkswagen Passat TDI

Edmunds' comparison test of the 2014 Honda Accord Hybrid and 2013 Volkswagen Passat TDI.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    Good job Honda, this is a hybrid I wouldn't mind getting to know!
  • banhughbanhugh Member Posts: 315
    Thank you guys for comparing the Accord Hybrid with the Passat TDI as I was suggesting some time ago!

http://www.edmunds.com/volkswagen/passat/2013/long-term-road-test/2013-volkswagen-passat-tdi-great-on-a-road-trip-commentspage.html#comments
  • shatnershatner Member Posts: 176
    Diesel is more expensive than premium in my area. It can run 50 cents or more a gallon over regular.
    With that considered the Accord saves close to 400 bucks a year in gas vs. the Passat. The Accord pays for the price difference in 5 years, and it is better equipped.
  • noburgersnoburgers Member Posts: 500
    It would be interesting to see how objective shoppers really are in this category. My guess is that the Honda and VW loyalists would not cross-shop. Since I own a car until I drive it into the ground, the long-term maintenance costs from what I read about VWs (not the diesel engine, but everything else), and the expense of replacing a battery pack in the Accord would steer me away from hybrids. I would probably choose a standard sedan until future battery technology brings the cost down.
  • emajoremajor Member Posts: 332
    Finally, it looks as though Honda has built a better hybrid than Toyota. Took them long enough. My preference leans toward the TDI because I don't like the odd powertrain dynamics in hybrids (pauses, surges, unresponsive to throttle inputs), but Josh makes it sound like the Accord has remedied some of this. I like the more angular stately exterior styling of the Passat over the generic bulbousness of the Accord, but that fake wood in the VW is pretty disgusting. Would've been good to include the Camry Hybrid in this review since it is the hybrid benchmark the Accord will be competing against. It's similarly quick and also boasts strong fuel economy.
  • greenponygreenpony Member Posts: 531
    In general, I don't agree with the implication that hybrids represent an unproven technology. It's been more than 15 years since the first modern gas-electric hybrids were introduced; there have been enough hybrid vehicles sold since then to validate the technology.
  • se_riouslyse_riously Member Posts: 94
    Looks like the Accord Hybrid is the one to beat in terms of dynamics and driveability. That said, since we're talking about real dollars, the street price on the Accord Hybrid is MSRP versus the Camry Hybrid or luxurious Avalon Hybrid, both of which are heavily discounted. You really have to drive all the vehicles and determine which one is worth it for you.
  • shepskishepski Member Posts: 45
    Since only one of them can be had with a manual, there's only one choice for me.
  • bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    @Noburgers: I don't know that it's fair to cite potential battery replacement cost as an issue. A replacement pack for an older Prius is about $1,800. How much is a new clutch in a Passat diesel or a new automatic?

Hybrid taxis are all over NYC and Chic
  • noburgersnoburgers Member Posts: 500
    @bankerdanny, I don't know what the Accord's battery pack costs. It's not reliability but a maintenance item for me. I keep a car for 10-20 years, so I know I will be replacing that battery pack. The original Prius was tiny and probably has a smaller p
  • john_kurmannjohn_kurmann Member Posts: 2
    Why is it that comparison tests between diesels and hybrids invariably neglect to mention that diesel is significantly more energy-dense than gasoline - a gallon of diesel contains about 18% more energy than a gallon of gasoline. Consequently, you can't simply compare the MPG of a gasoline-electric hybrid and a diesel if what you want to understand is their relative energy efficiency. With that taken into account, the Passat TDi falls even shorter of the performance of the amazing Accord Hybrid.
  • agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    Curious. I could have sworn there were 14 comments on this subject this morning at 0900 Pacific.
  • texas22steptexas22step Member Posts: 1
    We purchased the Honda Accord Hybrid shortly after introduction in early November. We live in a rural area, where a trip to the grocery store involves a round-trip of about 25 miles or more, so gas mileage is a big deal to us. We now have nearly 2K miles on the car and can say that it consistently delivers mileage in the 40 - 46 mpg range, is roomy, comfortable and feature-laden. In short, if you would consider a hybrid drive this before you buy. I am a convert from a Hemi Hog, and smile every time I bypass a gas station.
  • bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    @John_Kurman: I would agree if this were Physics Monthly.com, but it's not. The 'energy density' of diesel vs gasoline is irrelevant in terms of cost to operate efficiency, which is the only measure of efficiency that matters to the purchaser of a new aut
  • stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    I agree that hybrid technology can be considered "proven". We now feel comfortable enough with it and bought a hybrid since my wife's commute is mostly stop-and-go, where the hybrid is in its element. We bought a C-Max and it seems to drive much more like a conventional car than old hybrids did. The regenerative braking feels natural and you can hardly feel the transition. The only annoying quirk I've noticed is a brief engine lugging at times when it transitions from EV to ICE operation at low speeds with small throttle input. The only difference in driving style is that we really focus on smooth, easy inputs, which is a good thing for your typical family sedan anyway. I certainly don't flog it like I do my Miata, and I probably would push a conventional car harder, but I don't drive like a stereotypical Prius driver either. And we're exactly matching the EPA estimates.
  • stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    I love the blue on the Accord by the way. It looks very attractive. Honda has found its way on styling again.
  • majin_ssj_ericmajin_ssj_eric Member Posts: 49
    Excellent! Nothing more exciting and riveting to read about than a battle of fuel efficiency! I love modern auto journalism...
  • drm14drm14 Member Posts: 3
    The Accord hybrid sounds like a great car. If you want to see how actual drivers in real world conditions are doing in terms of mpg, check Fuelly.com. Comparing 2014 Accord hybrids to 2014 Passat TDIs, the Passat is doing better in terms of mpg. I would imagine city driving would favor the Accord, whereas highway driving would favor the TDI. They both do well for large, roomy cars.
  • stewartcstewartc Member Posts: 3
    Just wonder how often the batteries in the Honder need to be replaced and what the replacement costs are.
  • 1970hondaowner1970hondaowner Member Posts: 1
    I am a long term Honda owner since 1970. The discussion on hybrids always seems to leave out a few critical factors for me. The complexity of a hybrid is way above what the average repair person could maintain or even attempt to repair. Whereas a diesel is inherently simple and reliable. Another discussion is the cost of a replacement battery pack. How much does even a repair on a battery pack cost? Why is this not figured into the cost per mile? Also we live in a cold climate area where batteries exhibit poor performance. Whereas diesels do well with a short warmup.