Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 Lexus GS 350 Long Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Lexus

image2013 Lexus GS 350 Long Term Road Test

Car designers do their best to make exhaust tips look good, but have they gone too far on our 2013 Lexus GS 350?

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    I agree. More busy JA Pan & Co. "styling." This is how Japanese brands can go one year shorter on their design cycles than do European and American brands...and the European and American brands still end up looking sleeker and more timeless. They are still doing "surface excitement."
  • Options
    sniperruffsniperruff Member Posts: 2
    I actually thought "why doesn't Lexus just make that part of the actual exhaust tip?" Then I realized that it'd probably be expensive to replace.
  • Options
    agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    Bit of a non-issue for me. It neither restricts the performance nor looks all that ugly. Shrug.
  • Options
    actualsizeactualsize Member Posts: 451
    I get it. At one point I, too, felt fooled by this but now I happen to appreciate it. I began to rethink my position when my daughter burned the crap out of her leg on a exposed "live" exhaust tip when getting stuff out of the back of our 2007 long term Mini Cooper "S", the one with central exhausts. http://www.edmunds.com/mini/cooper/2007/long-term-road-test/2007-mini-cooper-s-central-exhaust-tattoo.html
    And then there's the issue of black soot, or in this case, no appreciable soot to clean off. Finally, from the automaker side, where I used to roam and work once upon a time, I know how difficult it is to center dual exhaust tips in the bumper cover cutouts when it's all hanging in rubber grommets. You wouldn't believe the number of people that run to the dealer or complain to JD Power if those tips aren't perfectly centered or symmetrical. As for the styling, we used to be saddled with standardized round or square sealed beam bulbs, and then at some point the laws changed and designers got free reign. Sure, they might overdo it in some cases, but my complaining days on this issue are basically behind me.

Twitter: @Edmunds_Test

• Options
    esteexesteex Member Posts: 1
    #1 - Funny how Mr. Ford is complaining about a Japanese design motif, when clearly Americans and Europeans are already copying it (see 2013 Ford Fusion / Mercedes E-Class)

#2 - Interesting "gripe" about exhaust when clearly Ferrari Italia has the same fundamental design for exhaust "shrowd" - how could a V8 exit out 3 pipes? More or less its a design element that completes visual appeal as opposed to ugly exposed "normal" exhaust pipes...
  • Options
    Well, I don't like that extra gimcrackery coming from any maker, but I think it's more prevalent from Japanese brands. In this car, I think it's the reflectors in the bumper cover, THEN the exhaust outlets stacked underneath those. Makes the rear end look tall, and when rear ends are already tall in sedans for aerodynamic reasons, that's an unfortunate effect, exaggerated by the fact that these design elements are obviously way larger than they need to be, when you look at the size of the actual exhaust outlet.
  • Options
    Well, I don't like that extra gimcrackery coming from any maker, but I think it's more prevalent from Japanese brands. In this car, I think it's the reflectors in the bumper cover, THEN the exhaust outlets stacked underneath those. Makes the rear end look tall, and when rear ends are already tall in sedans for aerodynamic reasons, that's an unfortunate effect, exaggerated by the fact that these design elements are obviously way larger than they need to be, when you look at the size of the actual exhaust outlet.
  • Options
    fortstringfortstring Member Posts: 111
    American designs are timeless?? Have you SEEN the Chevy Malibu? The Buick SUV's and the Verano? The Chevy Cruze? The PT cruiser? American designs often look dated the year after they come out. There are some exceptions to this rule, but more often than not it is the Japanese cars that have a more timeless look to them, as has been the case for years and years. Of course with a name like Fordson, I'm not surprised why you would think that American designs are "timeless." I can see that happening for European designs, but definitely not American.
  • Options
    I'll add that people used to whine about how boring Lexuses were, and now that they take a different approach, people still find a way to whine about Lexus. Also, fugly BMW GT models do NOT = timeless.
  • Options
    Let's not forget Lincoln, too. Sleek? Nope.
  • Options
    "Makes the rear end look tall"

Um... have you SEEN the Buick Enclave rear in traffic? 'Dem proportions...
  • Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,708
    Yep hate that the R8 has that. What? We're talking about a Lexus? Oh...
  • Options
    tpsinhatpsinha Member Posts: 8
    I agree. I like the back of the 450h more with the hidden exhausts. I think it helps portray less mass in the back.
  • Options
    Guys, Ford is not an exclusively American car company, you know. My dad worked at Ford dealers, so that (and the tractor of the same name) is why I am Fordson. Right now I own a Ford, a VW and a Toyota. I am not married to any car company, or country of origin. And fortstring, the back end of the Buick Enclave looks tall mostly because it IS tall. It's an SUV. They want it to look tall, because moms like that high seating position.
  • Options
    330i_zhp330i_zhp Member Posts: 55
    This exhaust this reminds of the recent trend of "chrome clad" wheels. An unfortunate trend.
  • Options
    Problem is that the RX350 that it competes with or is inspired by or tries to emulate or however you want to phrase it looks much less taller. There's less expanse of disproportionate sheetmetal. It's not because it IS tall. It's because of the design, bro. Comparable SUV's from Audi, BMW, Volvo, Lexus, Acura, and Infiniti (in the same class) don't look nearly as disproportionate. Do sit in traffic behind an Enclave. It's quite noticeable.
  • Options
    example: http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/driven/1301_2013_buick_enclave/photo_04.html

ungainly from the rear. totally NOT timeless or sleek.
  • Options
    nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    What's wrong with the exhaust ports? They look nice - they are real ports - You don't need anything else from them. I like 'em.
  • Options
    majin_ssj_ericmajin_ssj_eric Member Posts: 49
    I disagree. I love the look of these tips even if they aren't technically connected. Who cares really, they look sporty and that's the point...