Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently switched from a luxury sedan to a luxury SUV? A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] by 7/25 for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

2014 BMW 2 Series Coupe Unveiled Ahead of 2014 Detroit Auto Show

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Posts: 10,059
edited September 2014 in BMW

image2014 BMW 2 Series Coupe Unveiled Ahead of 2014 Detroit Auto Show

The rear-drive BMW 2 Series Coupe lineup will replace the old 1 Series Coupe when it goes on sale during the first quarter of 2014.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• bankerdannybankerdanny Posts: 1,021
    Doesn't the 328i use the 240 hp 2.0T?
  • I currently own a 135 so I've been waiting with interest for information about the new 2 series. The styling changes look very evolutionary. I'm glad that they've "strengthened" the character lines along the side so that they don't look saggy. Engine choices seem evolutionary, too-- as bankerdanny wrote, isn't the 2.0T the same as has been in the 328? It's too bad, though, that the small diesel won't be coming to the USA. A compact sports car with a strong pedigree and a 56mpg combined EPA rating would disrupt the market. (That's "disrupt" as in tech industry disruption. It's a good thing-- when you're the one doing it to someone else.)
  • can't speak for materials quality, but the design of the interior looks nicer than the 3-series, which I don't like much at all (had one for a few days as a loaner, and to me it is a huge step backwards from the previous generation). The turbo-4 is a nice engine, but I'd prefer the NA inline6 if they would still offer it. I wonder what the real world advantage is fuel economy is, I know the turbo 4 does well on the gov't fuel econ tests. Are they really doing a four door this time, and if so, I'd expect that would be called a 1-series, otherwise their new numbering scheme makes little sense.
  • It's almost as if BMW replaced their 3 series with the 2/1 series; like the spiritual successor to the 3 series of yore is indeed the 2 series. The 2 is probably the only BMW that has my interest.
  • This new "2-series" looks gorgeous - finally an attractive 1-series :)

I have to say that as much as the 235i will be billed as the performance model, the 228i has the specs that grab my attention: nearly 3,000 pounds.

That engine can fairly easily be bumped to ~300 crank HP, at which point you've got a 2-door coupe with a 10:1 pound/hp ratio, in a vehicle capable of getting mid 30s mpg on the highway and upper 20s in mixed driving.
  • Also, at these dimensions the 2 series is very nearly at the dimensions of the e46 3-series (1999-2006 model). A bit smaller still.
  • jeffinohjeffinoh Posts: 156
    It looks better. Less cartoonish. I never liked the swooped rockers of the 1 series. There's still a swoop there but its got a straight line below it which works better. More like a real BMW and less like a penalty box. As for the name- tomato tom-ah-to.
  • I'm glad this look is evolutionary and didn't get butchered like the 3 and 4. Man that 4-series looks BLOATED and pudgy! Not elegant in the least. I really don't like that vent in the side either, as functional as it may be. This 2 series is still attractive, and actually has a bit more aggression than the current model, which is a plus.

Let's hope they kept what made the 1-series' driving experience great, and didn't also mess that up like on the 3.
  • kyolmlkyolml Posts: 37
    they are doing the same thing as the M135i. They didn't have have a 135i hatch before and when they got the N55 engine they called it M135i and slot above the 135i coupe. But they are still selling 135i M sport coupe in Europe, are they going to to get rid of the regular 135i M sport coupe in Europe and only get M235i? then that M stands for Marketing since it's just a replacement for 135i coupe?

Maybe M235i M Sport package is above the regular M235i? ridicules....
  • stineystiney Posts: 28
    Nice looking car; a good, trim size too. A base 228i seems like an interesting value proposition, but I suspect as per BMW's standard practice you'll need to spring for several thousands of dollars in options to equip the car acceptably. At a close to $40K transaction price, this car is so not so appealing