Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW Unveils Production Version of Radical i3 Electric Car

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in BMW

imageBMW Unveils Production Version of Radical i3 Electric Car

Rear-wheel drive, a semi-palatable price and the BMW badge might add up to way more than just another small electric car.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• jeffinohjeffinoh Member Posts: 156
    I want to be BMW when I grow up. Everything's seen as better when you're BMW. Ugly isn't ugly, its innovative. An electric subcompact hatchbox is actually compared to a 3 Series and the Tesla. Ya never see a Volt compared to a Camaro. And I didn't see reference to the Leaf, which is most like the i3. We really bought into BMW's elevated image of itself. And here's a test for a styling cue, such as the window line- does it make the car look more attractive than it would be without it? I'd say no it doesn't.
  • duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649
    This has to be the ugliest, most useless $40K car on the market. The funniest part is that between the battery, the carbon fiber and aluminum, you're using the most energy intensive production methods known in the automotive industry and you're probably producing more waste from the production of this car than your regular econobox (nevermind simpler hybrids like the Prius) does during its entire cradle to grave lifespan. I cannot overstate how horrible of an idea this car is.
  • seppoboyseppoboy Member Posts: 93
    I'm predisposed to dislike this car, but I won't be as harsh as jeffinoh and duck87. BMW, like most other makers, is faced with an irrational regulatory environment that will necessitate entries in the electric car market, intended apparently to speed up innovation in an early-stage technology/market. My driving needs cannot be met by any present electric vehicles, and extended-range hybrids are not cost effective or well matched to my driving needs.

Given that this is a somewhat crazy mandate, there will be innovation and differentiation among the entries each manufacturer comes up with. The rules of the game are totally different from our internal combustion status quo, so expect some discomfort, and some disconnect between current brand images and the new electric vehicles.

But there is just no getting around the fact that battery energy storage is far less efficient than a tank of diesel or gasoline, and composite structure weight-saving can never offset that reality, until we see some really unexpected technological breakthrough.

This electric car mandate is another measure of how thoroughly messed up our national and world governance has become.
  • dfelix70dfelix70 Member Posts: 143
    The Pontiac Aztek is dancing in its grave since it is now no longer the ugliest car ever.
  • themandarinthemandarin Member Posts: 436
    Buy a CPO M3 and dust this POS
  • tomsjaytomsjay Member Posts: 14
    This design cant be compared to any existing auto design. the layerd design with multi color and texture components covering the exterior resembles more of a motorcylce fairing. that itself gives the design more dynamic look. need to look in differnt persepectibe The quality of the design components exceptional.

it should also drive tall, taough and very comfortable. from its mutlilink sport suspension.

the range extender is a good solution in the hybrid world. as the IC engine not propelling the wheels but cinstantly working at its sweet spot which is very efficient . the elaborate gear and mechanism is elimonated with EV motors propelling the wheels wich gives more direct and less complex and efficient solution.
  • darthbimmerdarthbimmer Member Posts: 606
    The i3 looks like the typical, misbegotten attempt a company that's deeply invested in the status quo (internal combustion engines) makes to embrace a disruptive new technology (all-electric vehicles). They mix a few really compelling bits of technology with a bunch of gimmicks, hobble it with a couple of severe tradeoffs, and slap on a goofy physical design. I've seen this pattern recently with computers, mobile phones, and cameras. Now it's cars. I'm very disappointed with the i3. I expected better from BMW.
  • travaitravai Member Posts: 14
    With attitudes like these, we'll never have flying cars.
  • duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649
    @travai: Flying cars are cool! This just isn't.