Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

EGR VALVE

gunzitogunzito Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Honda
I HAVE A HONDA ACCORD EX 2 DOOR V6 AND IT HAS 74,000 MILES ON IT. TODAY I TOOK IT TO THE DEALER AND GOT AN ENGINE DIAGNOSIS ON IT. FROM MY UNDERSTANDING ABOUT A YEAR AGO HONDA PUT FORTH THIS CAMPAIGN REGARDING THERE EGR VALVES ON 98-01 HONDA ACCORDS TO REPLACE FOR FREE IF THEY MESSED UP. WHEN I GOT THE DIAGNOSTIC DONE THE COMPUTER PULLED THE CODE P0401 WHICH MEANS INSUFFIECENT AIR FLOW, NEEDS CLEANED AND EGR REPLACED. THEY TOLD ME THAT THE PREVIOUS OWNER SEEMED TO HAVE HAD THE EGR REPLACED ALREADY BY PROCESSING MY VIN STATUS REPORT AND SAID THAT THEY WILL NOT REPLACE MY EGR THE EGR AS PART OF THE CAMPAIGN THAT I WILL HAVE TO PAY $300.00. NOW MY QUESTION IS SHOULDN'T HONDA REPLACE FOR FREE IF THERE WAS A RECALL ON THE PART ANYWAY. AND MY NEXT QUESTION IS THE PART COST 200.00. I WAS THINKING THAT IF I HAD TOO COULD I REPLACE THE EGR MYSELF AND IF I COULD HOW WOULD I CLEAN THE INTAKE THAT HONDA WAS SUGGESTION.. IS THIS AN EASY JOB. PLEASE SEND ME INFO.

Comments

• hondadudehondadude Member Posts: 6
    the "low flow" on the V-6 is not the same code as EGR "lift" code. this emmissions warranty has been extended. what the problem really is, very poor design as far as the routing of the EGR flow path. the very last turn of the flow path, the engineers decided to try a 180 degree turn into the intake manifold and all the crud in the exhaust gas collects at that point. the original recall was s/b 99-085 in which the intake end chamber was replaced and the PCV hose routing was changed against a defect code of 537 and contention code K69. Honda is very aware of this problem, you more than likely do not need a new EGR valve, if you get no satisfaction from the dealer, look up the 800 number in the owners manual and call Honda requesting a review by the district service manager{DSM} be polite yet firm that this is a recurring problem. you know if people would get on the stick and push the right to repair act[hr2735] thru the gov't, this sort of info would not be withheld from the public. best of luck I hope this helps you. PS. the new fix is to open up that last turn in the intake manifold with a big drill bit.
  • fleetwoodsimcafleetwoodsimca Member Posts: 1,518
    ...adding fuel to the contention that the foreign branded automobile dealerships are far below the domestic brand dealers in customer satisfaction. I had an EGR failure years ago on an Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser. The car was no spring chicken by that time. No problem. No cost to me. They replaced the whole thing, and it was labor intensive to do so.
  • TDevineTDevine Member Posts: 4
    I have a 1998 LX V6 w/ 74000 miles. Yesterday my check engine light came on so I took it to Autozone for a free engine diagnostic test and it registered PO401 which translates to "EGR Flow Insufficient." Does anyone know what's causing this and if it's covered in the warranty??
    You might want to get hold of a dealership (Chrysler?) and ask a series of questions. I suspect you are within your emissions systems warranty still, and may have a valid claim for a warranty repair.
    I'm not sure that I understand your post. Like Gunzito, my "check engine" light has come on and the code came up as PO401. Is it your understanding that this problem will or will not be covered. I have not had this problem before. Are you a Honda technician? Your comments are appreciated!!
    I dropped off my 98 Honda Accord (75k miles) this morning and they replaced the EGR valve free of charge. Moral of the story: always check Alldata, which is available for free at many public libraries, (and of course Townhall) when there's a problem with your car. Thanks Fleetwoodsimca and Hondadude.
    And I appreciate the thanks. Like you, I have also discovered that there are people posting to these threads that really do provide valuable information.
  • 0patience0patience Member Posts: 1,712
    Folks,
    Remember one thins when dealing with things like the EGR valve and such. Emmissions warranties are NOT the same as the standard vehicle warranty. Emmissions warranties are federally mandated to be a certain period of time, which I think is 5 years, but I am not 100% sure on that time frame. Some things may be 7 years. Always check with your warranty information to be sure or I could verify it later.
    Also, the Right to Repair act that Hondadude referred to. We have the information available on these pages. Motor Vehicle Owners' Right to Repair Act of 2001 House Bill H.R. 2735
    House Bill S. 2617
    I would encourage everyone to view the bills and let your congressman/woman know your thougths and views on it.
    Honda and Acura have already pulled their info from the DIYer, if these bills fail, then the rest of the manufacturers are sure to follow.
This discussion has been closed.